Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with big chevy dead I parted it out..Then ran acrossed this last week..1987 Chevy with 6 inch's of lift and 38 inch swampers..Sitting for sale there was no price just phone #..So I called and got a deal of a life time..Older gentalmen answered the phone I asked him how much he had to have for the chevy truck?? He said and I quote..$1000 even..I about fell on floor when he said that....I bought it right there and then....Truck is perfect...He said after I bought it that it belonged to his grandson and he wasnt going to be needing it anymore....So I took it home..But after I got home I couldnt stop thinking about what he had said..So I went back and asked him what he meant by he wouldnt be needing it anymore?? That is when he told me that he had been killed in Iraq and he was selling it for his wife and child..They needed the money...I couldnt stop thinking about what he had said........Well Guy's I wrote a check for another $2000 and dropped it off at his house the next day....I got the nicest card in the mail the other day Thanking me for buying the truck.....

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sweet ride.. and still a steal of a deal at 3k... :drive:

Glad to know there are still people out there that will do the right thing even when they don't have to...:thumb:

God speed to ALL our soldiers whereever they may be...:goodjob:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Excellent deal for $3K. Also nice heart warming story. :thumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guy's .......I always try to do right thing....And I have to tell ya it felt good too...Just so yall know the truck is perfect inside and out...Looks like it has spent most of it's life in Garage.....I talked with the older gentalman today and he told me it had never been off road..And that they where in the process of building it to show...I will get some pic's of motor and inside for yall so ya can see......

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm a life member of the DAV, so I see so many guys (mostly, but there are women members now too) who are walking a difficult path in life, what with their disabilities, the lack of normalacy, the need to rely on others, etc. And the family suffers right along with the person in uniform, along with every struggle. I can't help but imagine that the parallel is similar when someone dies in their uniform, doing their job. Except the path is a thousand times harder and the person who was actually in the service and understands its ways isn't there to help. So the spouse, parent, or child immediately has to learn how to deal with the military and its ways...along with all the pain (and often - blame) in their hearts. I don't know how they do it.

Yeah Darin, it's a gorgeous truck. But more important is the thought behind it. The hardest days are yet to come for the father, the wife, and the child, their new life's going to be rough going for awhile. So every bit of kindness and love they run into along the way will stay with them, stick to their memories for the rest of their lives. Down the road, outside the immediacy of the loss, one of those spots will be there because of you.

Good job, -Mikey-

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well yall I decided that doing the right thing was Great.......But I have decided to go above and beyond the right thing.Let me explain...I drove it to town other day and when I came out of store there was a lady with two kids standing by the truck..She was crying and leaning on the truck...At first I didnt know who it was...But after I got closer to the truck I noticed that it was the young lady and her two kids that was in the pic on the older gentlmens table....Now guy's I have to tell ya that my heart fell to ground...I didnt know what to do or say...So I just did nothing I went back into store and called a friend of mine I told him to come and pick me up.....He wanted to know what was wrong so I explained it to him......Well Guy's we came up with this Idea....I am going to auction truck off...The club I belong to is going to auction the truck off to highest bidder..and all money collected will be put into a bank account for this family.....Guy's it just feel's like the right thing to do.....I need your opinon????

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey, you don't need our opinon just our bids! Sounds like a great effort and thanks for being there for this family.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
That's awesome! It's great that you are able to do such good. :thumb:

I wish I needed another truck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No Worries Guy's.....We started bidding today..I started it at $2000.00 ...At 7am central time...I checked it at 8:30am it was at $4500.00 .... The auction will end Friday morning at 7AM central time.....So far the high bidder is a local 4x4 shop....I think it is going to go Real high...But it is for good cause...I will try to keep yall posted and tell ya what it finally sell for....Thanks Guys...:thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
wheres the auction?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a local auction company doing it For us....They dont have a web site that I know of....They just started auctioning this winter...So they are fairly new at this But so far they are doing a great job....Truck is at $ 5900.00 as of 10 am central time....High bidder Local tire shop...Truck is sitting in Mattoon IL inside the Chevy dealership For inspection...I was going to put it on Ebay but I decided to let the local companys and people around here have a try at helping this family out...The family is from Mattoon IL.....None of us thought it would go this high.....But we have company's stepping up and Bidding...I will buy another truck But for now I am just happy that thier are others out there that will help a Family in need...Thanks Yall

1 - 20 of 38 Posts