Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

My new toy

815 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GeoTracker90 
#1 ·
Well I just picked up a metal lathe yesterday and I can't wait to get it all cleaned up and running. I'm in the process right now of trying to locate a manual for it so that I don't mess things up on it when I fire it up for the first time. I'll need to start getting some tooling for it. Can't wait to start making some chips.

Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Well the lathe is up and running as of today. We thought it was wired for 220 VAC so I dropped an outlet into the wall from the breaker box just to find out that it's wired for a 20 amp 115 VAC outlet. Don't ask.

At any rate I was able to fire it up and do some trimming on a scrap of UHMW plastic that I had laying around. After that I started playing with a strut shaft that I salvaged from a Toyota Celica rear strut. It cut well but the surface finish was very rough because I was using a worn out tool bit.

I need to start tooling up for some future projects now. Does any one know of any tool shops in the Idaho Falls area that stocks machine tool supplies?

I must say that it was pretty fun sitting there just watching it produce chips.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.