Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put this under my car, and so far it works good. We'll see how it does in Moab in a few days.

It won't win any RTI competitions, but oh well. I have a few more degrees I could get out of it but I set my bump stops and limiting chains to keep the 2.5" flex joint alive.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
First off, that thing is so cool that I'm going to put it on the front page. 8)

What kind of joint are you using for the link and are you using a pan hardhard bar for side to side?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind words, and I appreciate yor interest in the car. I am very excited to finally have it done (well mostly done). I ordered the joints from M.O.R.E after seeing them at the vendor show at the Jeep Safari in Moab last year. I beleive Daystar makes them. It's just your run of the mill flex joint I think. I bought 3 of them and have them welded into a piece of receiver tubing. That way if I break one I just slide in a new one. Yes it does have a panhard/track bar to kep it laterally stable. Heres another pic of it.

Here's how the winch sits, nice and tucked up under the grill. :thumb:

I just saw the pic of it on the home page, THANKS ALOT, I'M PUMPED!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4
258 I-6
T-5
NP229 T-case
34" Swamper LTB's
HP44 front axle, coiled, locked, 4.10's
9" rear, coils, locked, 4.10's
On board air York set-up

Here it is mostly stock crossing the Crack in Moab

Here's my black one last Labor day going up Dump Bump, got it twice

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Dude Thats Tig o' Bittys!! I have seen a few in Glamis at the sand dunes, but they were more pre-runner style, never seen one for the rocks. Hope to see ya in MOAB, I got a blue Toyota Truggy, if I see ya I'll say HI!! :beer: Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell ya, say hi. Should be a good time. They are going to be doing a video premier on a 100' sceen in downtown on Friday nite. The video is called
"Climb", should be one hell of a party!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm not much into 4wd cars............but that looks cool :thumb:

what kind of a drivetrain do those have??....is it just a jeep in different skin??

nice job........I like it!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Curious about the joint. Got any close ups? Is it like a "grader ball" type or something different? Cool, in an unusual way of course. :thumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
:thumb: it's always nice to see something different :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's nice to see someone appreciate what AMC did, and play with it! Nice job, love those cars, I had one years ago. Put an AMC 304, and a 231 case in it, loved the piss out of it. Now I have an 85 wagon with a slight lift, a little trimming, 235/75-15s, NP219 for now, and 273 gears for now. I have a parts Commanche in the wings ready to be torn apart for axles, 30 and 20 with 4.10s. I was going to run like 31-33" tires, but seeing yours, I think that 35s are going under it! Where are you at Eagle, are you a local to Idaho?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My SAS Eagle wagon is on the road! It took me just over a week to put together. It has 33 10.50-15 BFGs on it now, and as soon as I get a set of 15x8s to put them on, I'm putting on a set of 35 12.50-15 Wildcat EXTs on it. The 258 is having issues, so I'm putting in an AMC 304. The car already has a NP219 t-case.
The axles that I used are a D30 from an 86 MJ with an AMC20 in the rear from the same MJ with 4.10s.
The rear springs are hybrid with Wagoneer front leaves, MJ rears, and YJ lift leaves. The front springs first were YJ heavy 5 leaf rears, but they proved too light and went negative because of car weight, they are now Wagoneer fronts, just right but I had to put 3"lift blocks in the rear at the same time to level it out.
I used a ZJ pitman arm for steering correction, got to go another route for correction. The car currently sits about 14" taller than stock with the 33s on it.
I will post pics as soon as I can take them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
eagle said:
I just put this under my car, and so far it works good. We'll see how it does in Moab in a few days.
Very curious to hear how it did in Moab. I have never driven a rig with a monolink like this, but I hear tell that this type of suspension design really allows the front end to "levitate" when ascending steep climbs. Did you end up going to Moab? Do you have pics? Any trail reports?

It's certainly easier to design than a 4 link, but I really would like to know if (after having driven it) you feel the extra effort of 4 linking would have been worthwhile.
;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cool. Things like that are fun to tinker with. When I was in high school my brother and I built a Subaru Brat that was mounted on a 69 CJ frame and had a Buick V-6 in it. It was a lot of fun to drive and got a lot of attention. But it required too much maintenance to be a daily driver. We sold it when I went off to college. I still wonder about it and where it ended up. I sure wish we had taken pictures of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts