Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a 98 gmc jimmy 4x4 auto with electronic 4wd and the 4wd switch doesnt engage until i po the 2 fuese out for the tranfer case and 4wd then pop em bak in and clik 4lo or 4hi but then wen i want to get it bak into 4 low u dont hear it switch like the tranfer case only got enough juice to put it into 4hi or 4lo and it works but not to kik out to go bak into 2hi so could the tranfer case be gone or wut?

·
Registered
75 Posts
First I would check the obvious since it is vacuum actuated, make sure there is no vacuum leaks anywhere. Then go after that actuator. If thats not it then start into the transfer case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well we got it to semi work and it only works wen u turn the key just a lil bit that the battery light just comes on and it only has 2 hi and 4 lo and it wont engage wen the vehicle is running so its gotta be the vacuum rite?

·
Registered
891 Posts
hey, do the fuses blow when you try to kick it into 4x4? in my 95 the fuses kept blowing and it was the actuater on the front axle. If they are blowing unhook the wires to actuater and try it a few times, if they don't blow then it is the actuater. it gets a short in there i guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
when u say actuator u mean actuator switch vaccuum switch rite? and yes it the fuses started blowing once i got it into 4hi after many tries then couldnt get it out jumped out popped the fuse out and it was blown so me and my dad figured it has to be the actuator thing shorted out

·
Registered
891 Posts
In mine it was not vacum, it is an elec. actuater on the front axle, it is about 1 1/2 in. dia. and all you have to do is gently pull the wires off, then unscrew the actuater and replace. It is like 80-100 dollars. piece of cake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oo alrite man i guess me and my dad will have to c if its vacuum or electric cuz idk it doesnt rele say in the manual

·
Registered
545 Posts
Is it just me, or is his spelling real bad?

I learned this in GlennsFerry, lets see if I still have it.

Izit jus me oriz hiz splng reel bad?:rotfl:

It's just what you get when you cross poor spelling and a chronic text messager. I try not to get too upset about it, but the text messaging shorthand is a real pain in the ass to decipher:rolleyes:

Future generations are going to look at our communications and determine we all ate way too many paint chips, and were dropped on our heads a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha sorry for the mispelling guys it's mostly because I'm on AIM all the time and we got a new transfer case motor for it and a new front driveshaft u-joint because the other one broke when taking it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts