Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have the 8 bolt and I have a few Questions.

First: Is it normal that I can Only shift into Low from 2nd or reverse?
When I go from 1st to Low It wont Shift.
When I go from 3rd to Low It wont Shift..
From 2nd and reverse to Low. The Low gear will shift fine.

In this Order I can go threw low 1st 2nd 3rd nice and smooth.But For some of the gears the Low doesnt want to go all the way.

Also Is the 8 Bolt as strong as the new proccess model?

And would my 82 6.2L desiel Need to be primed to even start the fuel moving?
Cause my Fuel filter is dry and Its not pumping fuel into the injector pump.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
The low gear on those things is unsyncronized (sp?). So it may not always drop in as the gears may not be meshed. Try double clutching it and see if that helps.

The 8 bolt 205 is a very stong T-case. Which one are you comparing it too? the rounds version 205 or the 241 that most newer trucks are using? (my '92 1 ton uses a 241). The 205 is stronger then that. The 205 is pretty much regarded as the strongest light truck Tcase there is.

Dont know on the fule pump.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First

What is double clutching?

And second I mean which is stronger

The 8 Bolt Np205 or the new Process 6 Bolt NP 205 thier both awsome just wondering. :)

And anything about having to prime the fuel lines? or should the pump take care of everything?
including air?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Regarding where it should shift...far as I know there's no interlock of any kind to keep you from shifting into Low in any gear. There might be some RPM-related reason why you can't get it to shift into Low in the higher transmission gears, but if I try to talk to that I'll be getting in over my head. So I'll stop now.

8 bolt and New Proces...I'm trying to understand, really, but I have to tell you that I'm really guessing here. Mostly because you're asking to compare the NP-205 with "...the 'New Process' model..." That hurts my head because the NP-205 IS a New Process transfer case. You're wanting to compare New Process with New Process...okay...which one is the second one you're talking about? I'll continue with the following guess.

I think you're asking if the NP-205 with the figure eight bolt pattern (I'd assume that's what you mean by "eight bolt") is better or worse than the NP-205 with the circle six bolt pattern?

Well, they're basically the same inside. They both still have the same iron housing and they use the same simple gearing (with a paltry 1.97:1 reduction). Far as I can tell by reading, there's something like 5 different versions of the NP-205. I found the collection of transfer case types used on Chevy/GMC vehicles, the years of of the vehicles they came on, and the bolt pattern, transmissions, and spline counts as well. This is just the Chevy/GMC data...Ford used NP-205s from '77 to '79 and Dodge used 'em from '69 to '93 - but I'm not patient enough to keep digging any longer.

NP205
1971-79
27 SPL. MALE
(ORIG.TH350)
fig.8 pattern

NP205
1971-84/85
10 SPL. MALE
(ORIG. SM465)
fig.8 pattern

NP205
1979-84/85
32 SPL. FEMALE
(1 TON TH400)
fig.8 pattern

NP205
1985-91
32 SPL. FEMALE
(SM465 & TH400)
cir.6 pattern

NP208 & NP241
1981-00, 32 SPL.
(ORIG. SM465)
(TH400 & 4L80)
cir.6 pattern

I suppose there is a potential for strength difference with the shaft spline count. Hadn't thought about that before. Then again, I've never read of anyone...and I mean anyone...complaining about their NP-205 unless they had to carry one. I damn near dropped both of my nutsticles outta my drawers and into a floor heater trying to carry mine down to the basement for a rebuild and back up afterwards. Heavy bastiges.

If there's another New Process model you want to compare the NP205 to, well, yeah, there are some. I think the NP200 and the NP201 are as strong. A lot of people say the NP203 is weak because it uses chain for the front drive and is a full time 4WD, so it wears faster. But it's stout and easy to make into a part-time case. The 203 and 205 came out about the same time, so that was that last generation of iron housings from New Process and just about every housing they've put out since has been either aluminum or magnesium. Great for weight savings and heat transfer, but now worth a damn when smacked on a boulder.

Is that what you're looking for, or was this a :lame: act of mental masturbation?

-Mikey-

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Ok its actually simple spline count in the strength of the 205

32 spline is strongest, 27 spline is next (these are debatable since it actually shows the strenght of the output on the tranny), then the old 10 spline male. While any of these are very strong, and the difference is marginal. I would just be happy to have a 205.

and as for the shifting, Its an old truck with a 205, either fight the shifting, or have the tranny and t-case rebuilt. not much you can do to fix that.

Double clutch...ask a truck driver:drive:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I plan on rebuilding the transmission and transfer case because their both simple, reliable, and the most durable. I got a GM 14 Bolt posi in the rear and a GM 10 bolt in the front.

Anything on what is probably actually wrong?

My transmission!

Doesnt want to shift into Low from 1st or 3rd.
From reverse it goes in
and 2nd also.

When i go from 1st or second into low I Can hear that it almost wants to engage but it doesnt get passed this point
Makes the same click as if i wearnt to go all the way on the other gears.

Whats non syncronized?

and is there a reason 2 why my Low isnt shifting all the way from certain Gears? My truck is moving or anything Its just parked and doesnt run.Does it need to move at the same time? somtimes?

My case is fine
But still worthy of a little love.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
just sounds old and worn to me...the shift forks might be worn and not shifting properly as well.

these were never meant be be smooth shifting car transmissions

low gear....is non-synchronized, as in it wont line up easily if you are trying to shift into low with the vehicle moving.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
The 32 spline 205s also use a bigger bearing on the input than the 10 spline ones do but thats really splitting hairs. Most 203s break because poeple use the wrong lubrication in them.

As far as shifting goes, syncros basically equalize the speed between different gears on the t-case to allow for easy shifting(thats in very simply put terms) My 465 will not shift into first from second unless I blip the throttle, while on the clutch, that is equalizing the rpms (basically getting the motor at the same rpms as I would be at when I put it in first) momentarily, allowing the shift. So it is fairly normal behavoir for your trans for what it is doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts