Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the rules that I already emailed you, just though I would post them so we can review them here too. Hopefully this will make our in person meeting go quicker.

General Mud Racing Rules
1. Seat belts are required in all classes. Shoulder harnesses are recommended to be used in all classes.
2. A minimum of a 2 ½ lb. fire extinguisher (with gauge) mounted securely within easy access of driver is strongly recommended.
3. All open top and soft tops must have a roll bar adequate to support the weight of the vehicle.
4. Front and rear tow attachment points are mandatory. They must be a minimum of 3 inch inside diameter. Chain loops are ok as long as they are securely mounted.
5. Drivers must be at least 16 years of age with a valid driver’s license to be shown at the time of registration. Drivers under the age of 18 must have parent or legal guardian approval signed at registration.
6. No riders in any vehicle while in competition.
7. No loose objects in race vehicle.
8. SNELL or DOT approved helmet required in all classes. Neck collar is strongly recommended for all classes.
9. Fire retardant suits including gloves are recommended for all classes.
10. Battery must be securely fastened and is not allowed in the driver compartment.
11. Driver must be in the driver’s seat while the engine is running. There will be zero tolerance!!
12. Classes are limited to automotive engines only and only one engine per vehicle.
13. Fuel tank cells are recommended. All tanks must have positive locking cap or screw in caps. Aluminum tanks are ok. Must be located between frame rails and securely fastened. Fuel tanks may not be in the driver’s compartment. Stock classes may keep fuel tanks in factory configuration. Fuel lines must be in good condition and routed away from heat or pinch points.
14. Vehicles must have forward and reverse gears and must be four wheel drive. (Mud buggy class must be two wheel drive)
15. Hydraulic actuated brakes are required on each axle, driveline brakes are acceptable. Vehicle must be able to safely skid all four tires. Positive lock dual master cylinders are recommended.
16. Competition vehicles must operate in a safe manner at all times in the pit area, staging, loading, unloading, and on the track itself. Officials have the right to stop and disqualify any vehicle not being operated in a safe manner.
17. No driver will consume alcoholic beverages or take drugs prior to or during an event. Obvious or excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages by pit crews with result with disqualification of driver and vehicle. Any infractions of fighting, drugs, alcohol, theft, vandalism, unsportsman like conduct, or tampering with another racer’s vehicle can result in disqualification.
18. Stuck or broken vehicles will be measured to the center of the front hub for distance. Drivers will place vehicle in park or neutral and raise hands while being hooked up for removal. Vehicle must remain in neutral while being towed out.
19. Course boundaries will be marked with stakes or markers. Anyone passing or hitting these will be out of bounds and that run disqualified. This will be at the officials’ discretion.
20. Driver is allowed 3 minutes to get to start line. If you are unable to make it, you can have the next driver go ahead of you and then go. This will be subject to the officials’ decisions.
21. You break it, you buy it. This includes the timing lights and markers.
22. All decisions by the event staff and race officials are FINAL!

Someone must be in driver’s seat when engine is running at all times!
Infractions of these rules may result in event disqualification and forfeiture of entrance fees!
Entrance Rules
Tech inspections will begin at 4:30 and Drivers meeting will be conducted and 6:30. Racing begins at 7:00. Entrance fees will be $20.00 per driver at the registration stand and everyone will have to pay a entrance fee into the park. Payout schedule will be determined at every race dependent on the number of registered entrants. All decisions on class placement will be at the sole discretion of the head tech official. Times will be determined by stopwatch, with the top four advancing in each class for a heads up no time run. The entrant with the fastest time in the qualifying runs will have always have lane choice in the run off’s. In the event that there are not 4 entrants, only the top 2 will run off. Any disputes will be handled by the tech official and the race coordinator. Any cheating will result in immediate disqualification and no refund will be issued. Jumping the start flag will result in a no time for the run, and during the heads up racing will result in a loss. There is also no refunds of the entry fee once racing has begun.

1. Stock (S) Class requirements
1. Factory stock, this means completely stock!
2. No modifications
3. Pump gas only for fuel
4. Maximum tire size of 33 inches. Must be DOT tires
5. Must meet all General Rules

2. Super Stock (SS) Class requirements
1. NO ENGINE SWAPS
2. Only 3 modifications allowed. Racer can choose 3 of the following: Afermarket intake, carb, headers, or traction bars.
3. No CDI or Multispark ignitions
4. Pump gas only, No Nitrous Oxide
5. Must have functioning radiator and engine driven factory style water pump
6. Naturally aspirated, single carb, and factory fuel injection allowed
7. Lifts allowed, but must be of stock type
8. Must be street legal: lights, licensed, and no cut or gutted bodies (minor fender trimming for tire clearance ok)
9. No cut tires, paddles, or tractor tires. Max. size of 35 inch DOT approved tires.
10. No aftermarket fiberglass bodies or body parts (fender flares OK)
11. Must meet all General Rules

3. Pro Stock (PS) Class requirements
1. Vehicles will be allowed only 5 performance modifications.
2. The five mods may be chosen from the following list: Intake manifold, header, carb, engine swap, traction bars, fiberglass hood/fenders, fiberglass cab/tub, and multispark ignitions.
3. Factory style transfer case must be used
4. Pump Gas only, no race fuel, no alcohol, no nitrous oxide
5. No cut tires, paddles, or tractor tires. Max of 38.5 inch DOT approved tires.
6. Must be full outside bodied vehicle, no race or gutted bodies
7. Trimming allowed on fender wells only for tire clearance
8. Suspension must be in factory location and type, lifts ok
9. Must have factory style frame
10. Must have 4 operating brakes
11. Must meet all General Rules

4. Monster Truck(MT) Class requirements
1. Max tire sixe of 49 inch DOT. NO cut, paddle, or tractor tires.
2. Must have a minimum tire size of 39 inch.
3. Vehicles will be allowed 6 performance mods from Pro Stock list
4. Vehicle must conform to all other Pro Stock requirements.
5. Must meet all General rules.

5. Mud Modified (MM) Class requirements
1. Any engine size, swap, location, or modification allowed
2. Naturally aspirated, multiple carbs, and factory fuel injection allowed
3. Pump gas or race gas only, no alcohol or methanol.
4. No Nitrous Oxide
5. No cut tires or paddles. Max tire size of 49 inches DOT or tractor tires
6. Must use factory style transfer case
7. Must use factory style frame, no tube chassis, modified frame ok
8. Must have 4 operating brakes
9. Vehicle must appear factory. No narrowing.
10. Driver must wear an approved safety neck ring. Also, when engine is mounted in a modified location, driver must wear a fire retardant jacket
11. Must meet all General Rules, and Safety Rules below.

6. Pro Mud (PM) Class requirements
1. Any engines and modifications
2. No blowers
3. Nitrous, alcohol, injection systems, and carbs allowed
4. Must have rubber tires
5. Driver must wear at least a single layer fire suit. Drivers must also wear fire proof gloves, shoes, and head sock; and an approved safety neck ring
6. Must meet all General Rules, and Safety Rules below

Safety Rules for Mud Buggy, Mud Modified, Pro Mud, and Open
1. Must have U-joint shields on all U-joints and at least one driveline hoop centered on the drive shaft. On drive shafts longer than 24 inches, at least two driveline hoops are STRONGLY recommended. U-joint shields not required in Mud Modified class, but driveline hoops are.
2. Open topped vehicles must have a minimum of a 6 point roll cage. Structurally altered cabs must have a minimum of a 6 point cage. (Structurally altered cabs meaning: cutting or weakening cab from OEM standards) Unaltered cabs OK, but recommend at least a four point cage. All main support bars with welded joints above shoulder height must be gusseted to strengthen joints.
3. Standard transmissions must have “scatter shield” bell housing. Automatics must have tranny shield or blanket.
4. Must have a 2 ½ lb. or larger fire extinguisher mounted within easy reach of driver.
5. Must have a minimum of a four point harness.
6. Must have a driver accessible and clearly marked power shut off switch that toggles down for off.
7. Must have a well marked master shut off switch accessible from the rear of vehicle.
Exhibition Clause
Driver can run in a competitive class without any eligibility for points, cash purse, or trophies. Driver still has to pay $20.00 entrance fee.
We have tried to make all the rules clear, but due to the variances between vehicles, class positioning will be the final decision of the Tech officials. No cheating will be allowed. Any vehicle that does not meet all the safety requirements for its class will not be allowed to run. The goal is to make all classes as fair and as competitive as possible. These rules are subject to change, it is your responsibility to abide by the rules at all times. Please feel free to contact the race organizers for more info or tech questions.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
damn feel like im being a pain in the ass...... someone thats gets bumped to mud modified because of a suspension change, do they need to follow all safety rules for mud modified, ie: rear shut off switch, driveline hoops, 4 point harnesses, tranny blanket.

Wife is gonna race in pro stock, but if we solid axle it with leafs, (axle in the garage)....
Same as for kieth baasch, he was a super stock guy, now its getting a solid axle.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Mud Buggy and Open classes were eliminated after the first year of racing. There is just no interest in those two classes.

2. Yes, the current rules do not allow for any suspension changes other than the stock type. As far as the Yota goes, since that the 84 and 85 came with solid axle, and that is the body style you are going to run, then I wouldn't see a problem with it. As far as Keith's truck, that would be a tough one. Maybe we need a clause in there for just such a truck. The axle swap lowers his ground clearance since he will now have a diff dragging mud, so it is not a huge performance gain. Solid axle and leafs aren't as effective in high speed racing as independant drive is, so I would venture to say this is a strength and safety issue rather then a perfomance issue.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Like we said at the meeting, there will always be a rig here and there that falls through the cracks in the rules. That's where it becomes a judgement call of the head tech person (Chris or his replacement). When I ran the races in Starkey I ran into a situation where a guy replaced his "stock" flat bed with a homebuilt one. I figured his new one was lighter but I did make an exception for him. However, keep in mind that we can't keep making up "special" rules for a rig here and there because the owner/builder wants to bend the rules to suit their interests. The rules will quickly become a joke.

Travis brought up a good answer/question to a similar question by chevycrew at the meeting: "Why was the change made in the first place? Was it to gain an advantage in some way?" I personally have been hit by rules that bumped me up not just one class but two. I had a 1976 Chevy shortbed with a "built" 350" but I also ran 44" tires with a "Stock style" suspension lift. That bumped me into the Mud Modified class because of the tires. I had to run against rigs like the Dawg with a rig that should have been Super Stock. I quickly learned the rules and built my rig to fit the class I wanted to run in.

With all that said, Chris has said in the past that all this is for having fun in a safe manner with rules that don't change race to race. I would make the call that if a change is made beyond what is stated for that class that puts the rig at some advantage over his competition then the rig should be bumped. If the rig doesn't gain an advantage over the others in the class then let it ride. Don't re-write the rules for that one truck!

One last thought (I know, this is long winded but this topic always comes up). These rules are based on rules that are generally accepted most places I have raced. In fact, they are on the EASY side. If someone expects to race in places like Oregon or over in Starkey and expects those folks to bend the rules for them then they have driven a long way for nothing.

Oh, I did notice one other thing in the "Stock" class, The stock tires on a H2 are 35". The rules state nothing bigger than 33". I'm not sure if the H2 is the only truck that comes with a tire bigger than 33" or not.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I agree with not bending the rules for any one person, just trying to figure out where these sas vehicles fit in, suspension modifications say not in pro stock, but they are not modified enough to be in mud modified as per the safety rules in that class. I just dont wanna see people go home beacause they dont fit in any one class. sas trucks are getting more and more popular. examples kieth, my crew cab, wifes gmc is gonna be done this summer, and im also doing a s-10 blazer for another guy this year. Its just something that would be nice to clarify before race days. And on the issue of allowing sas in pro stock, if we bend the rules there... then there is mike in the bronco, he switched from coils to leafs, that would bump him out of monster truck due to suspension change and also into mud modified.

I guess it just too much of a pain to figure out, should suspension modification just be bumped to mud modified?, and should they just have to conform to the safety rules in that class if they wanna race?

Im not trying to change the rules to fit certain people, I just want everyone to be fairly included.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sorry to pop in late. I can see both sides of the issue here. On one hand If we make somebody jump a class because they have one to many mods to run the class then we should keep it straight across the board and not allow non performance mods to not jump a class. But....I also think this is where the tech person needs to make a call. My personall opinion is that a solid axle swap is not a performance mod and I wouldnt consider it to a countable modification on race day. If we were doing tech on a rock crawing course then it would be different. I think that countable modifications should be of the performance enhancing kind. Headers, lifts, ect.

Now my question for chevy crew is what other mods does your truck have? You may be placed in a higher class even with out the ifs change. The first year we raced at mountain home we were running a complete stock chevy drivetrain 305,th350 205tcase, no lift ,44 front and 12 bolt rear and 35 inch tires. But because of the body swap the lowest class we could run in was pro stock. Sometimes that is just the way it works out. Now like Darrel we have build the truck up for the classes we want to run.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the stock class. If a vehicle came factory with larger than 33 tires, we made the decision that it could run because it was showroom stock. But, the driver must show the proof, either by the door sticker, or owners manual that it was a factory offered size. But the situation has never arose.

I think the SAS question is one that is a hard decision. Mike did have to run last year in the MM class because of his suspesion setup. I think we will have to make the call on a case by case basis. Maybe the SAS should be one of the allowed Modifications?

In SS
2. Only 3 modifications allowed. Racer can choose 3 of the following: Afermarket intake, carb, headers, or traction bars.

In PS
2. The five mods may be chosen from the following list: Intake manifold, header, carb, engine swap, traction bars, fiberglass hood/fenders, fiberglass cab/tub, and multispark ignitions.

I think that would make it fair. Don't bump up the mod counts, just add more options. Then it would be cut and dry. If you have more mods then you are allowed, you get bumped.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you get bumped into a higher class, you will be allowed to run as long as the vehicle is deemed safe by the staff. But, you will be instructed that to race again you will have to make your vehicle fit into the class.

We probably need to delete a couple lines in the rules, and add something about the judges can place a vehicle that they deem safe in higher classes. We have always allowed racers to race in classes higher than lowest class, provided they meet the safety requirements of their lowest class.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am good with that. For the most part I think it is going to boil down to Tech person( Chris) thinks is best and I will back that up.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It sounds like we all agree that the modifications we are concerned about, to keep things as fair for all racers as we can, are those considered "Performance" mods. I have raced places that considered HEADERS as NOT a performance mod (?). Perhaps because some stock rigs now come with factory "headers". If I remember right, Chris, didn't you once say in the rules that if a rig was let to race with an "exception" to the rules and that rig dominated the class then it would no longer be allowed to run in that class? Also, I know we have taken a vote among the drivers in that class on whither or not they wanted that rig to run in the lower class after we say it's ok (not to put the decision on to the drivers, but sometimes they know their competition better than we do just by looking at a rig).

Perhaps a different wording in the rules for mods would work. If a mod is made for performance gain in "mud racing" then they get bumped. But if the mod was made for another sport (drag slicks for 1/4 mile pavement racing) then it wouldn't be considered a performance mod for mud racing.

As I mentioned before, this debate always comes up and always causes hard feelings on someones' part. Remember when we said Terry had to run in a higher class because he didn't have a windshield in his Jeep? That triggered his main competition to complain because we had also bumped him up a class for one mod too many. It became a snowball.

I'm like Glen in that I feel it's a tough call. We don't want to discourage some new person from coming back, but we also expect people to know/learn the rules for the class they want to run in if they are serious about racing. If all they want to do is show up to see how their rigs does then we will know that pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
With all this talk about performance mods, it brings up an obvious issue to me. I seriously consider that if the same rig changes from street tires (DOT) to tractor tires then it is considered a performance modification. That same rig WILL do better than if it did not run the tractor tires! I have never understood why the rules allow that to happen (except that it was put in there for one or two rigs to be able to do it) If the Dawg were to show up with tractor tires in Mud Modified you can bet a lot of people would complain. IT's ALMOST THE SAME AS PUTTING ON PADDLE TIRES!

There, I've said it and I feel better

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have to agree with the tractor tires. That would seam to be more a pro mud catagory. The mud mod having dot approved tires wouldnt fit the tractor tire thing. If everybody else is ok with it let move tractor tires to pro mud.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I like the idea of having the sas swap as part of the modifications that racers can choose from in pro stock, but Ill be happy with whatever is agreed upon, I just wanted to make sure it was discussed before the races, instead of during tech inspection with a line of racers waiting to be teched.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
:eek: So, what does SAS stand for (I don't get out much)?:eek: I know what SOA is and SOB but not SAS other than a shoe store. Is it rock racing stuff or desert racing? Is it only suspension mods or does it include fiberglass fenders and the like?

If it's only a suspension change (independent to leaf spring, not the other way around) then I agree with adding it to the list to choose from. I had another thought about this, I remember someplace I read in someones' rules about suspension changes being pretty restricted in the "lower" classes. It may have been Sodas' rules. I will check in the last copy I have of them. We don't have to have Sodas' rules for us but it would be good to know that if they are different then the SAS trucks may only be allowed to run in the pro stock class at our races. I'll check into it today.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Darrel,

I think it means solid axle swap. Sass means single action shooting society.( Cowboy action) SOS, of course is a scrubbing pad.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Here is the PDF of rules from the site for the National Mud Racing Organization. From what I can tell, most tracks meet these general rules but with modifications to suit their local needs and drivers ability to meet the rules. The NMRO has more classes than what we ran as you will see. If I remember right we decided not to break down the classes into so many that we ended up with not many rigs in the classes.

http://www.nmro.net/2006NMRO_rules.pdf

Here is their home page: http://www.nmro.net/

I will be editing this post as I gather more info.

I found a copy of Sodas' rules from 2002. I have a more recent copy somplace but can't find it right now. In the Pro Stock class they list the suspension requirements the same as we did for Mountain Home. SO...HEADS UP IF YOU WANT TO GO TO SODA TO RACE!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts