Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made it back from the Montana Divide Ride. The trails were beautiful. They weren't the most challenging trails I've ever been on but they were fun. Those folks now how to put on an event. Let's see BBQ (much like WWOR), a breakfast on departure day, a pool night where they rented the local pool which was next door to our camp, an ice cream social with home made Amish Ice Cream, and a killer raffle (which I won nothing at). This year it was in Whitehall Montana which is 6.5 hours from MH with stops. Next year it is in Dillon, Montana which is probably only 5 or 5.5 hours from MH. It is just a smidgen over the border. I say that we get a whole group from WWOR to head up there next July.

There were around 150 vehicles total and 119 of them were Jeeps. The guy in charge, VERN, drives a Nissan Patrol, there was one other Cruiser (a beautiful 40) and a few minis and 4Runners, some early Broncos, and some weird stuff like Military Jeeps and a Powerwagon. The Powerwagon was very very cool. Lehi could have hung with him very easy. And there was a Suburban they called Shamu but Lehi would have towered over it.

Even though the trails were easy I managed to wreck a front fender and flare when a log jammed between my tire and inner fender. I also have a leaky front diff now. I'm not sure what caused it. I think I have a couple of studs backing out. It was fine in CA. On the way home I blew a trailer tire (yesterday I replaced them with 8 ply trailer tires) and I got another chip which broke my windshield. So even though the trails were easy I did a lot of damage somehow. Go figure!

They have an interesting crew up there in Poulson, MT that I think some folks from WWOR would like. Their website is horsepowerranch.net but it is inactive. Crazy bunch of guys with homebuilt rigs. Very interesting approaches to builds. They were very friendly.

Everyone up there was super friendly. People come from all over the country for this. There were people from MN, WI, MO, WA, OR, ID, etc...

Nate, if you went you would have been the only Rover of any vintage.

So 5.5 hours, totally new trails to everyone. Leave Wed. Wheel Thurs-Sat. come home Sunday. And since it is fairly close it won't cost too much to go. I think I spent like $280 on gas for the whole trip. Camping was included with the registration as were all the extras.

I'll bring pictures to the August meeting if I make it back from Colorado in time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cool, sounds like it was a good time. I wouldn't mind doing something like that next summer, that would be a pretty cool club run.

I'm going to miss this next meeting since I'm heading down to the Land Rover National Rally in Montrose, CO 11 Aug. but I'll be sure to take a bunch of pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
If I am home I would love to go Eric. Sounds like a blast

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds fun. I would bring my rigs and wheel over there for sure!

Thanks for the update Eric.
It wasn't just the wheeling. It was a real family event. Swim night, Ice Cream Social, Breakfast, and a BBQ. The trails weren't hard core but they were pretty. Next year who knows what the trails will be like but it is an hour closer to Idaho next year too :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts