Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of mini vans would you guys recommend. We are moving into the world of mini vans :lame: and I would like to see what pros and cons people can share. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
We looked at Mini Vans when we had the boys...

Kia is your best bang for your buck, get a loaded van for 8-10k less than a honda and have a better warranty!

10year/100,000 mile warranty is tough to beat! and a 5 star safety rating...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify a little, we are looking into the $5000-$6000. So, we are looking into used. I will look into KIA though. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Odyssey, Sienna, Previa.
Might be touch to find a Sienna in that range, but doable on a Previa or older Odyssey.

If the 3000 range is appealing.......... use the rest for a trip to disneyland....
Take a look at this.
21 mpg on an average, great handling and road gripping ability, I have had two like this, and 8 in the 2wd derivative.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/car/223666131.html

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I would not buy a used KIA, but agree that new they are the best deal.
I got the Honda and really like it. VTEC 6 cyl hauls ass and gets 22-25 mpg.
Used vans in that price range would be a used caravan, may even find one with a supercharged 6 cyl. Honda did not even start making vans til 98, so they would not be in that price range. The older body style toyotas would be in that range, but that is a lot of weight for that 4 cyl. You may also check into a full size van, as those would give you a lot of van for the same prices. No fuel efficiency, so you have to decide if it really is worth it.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Actually Honda had the Odyssey prior to 1998, but smaller, still sat 7 comfy enough, and were a little more wagon looking, 1994 maybe for the year of start.

Plus is they were 4 door, where everything else is three door.

The one I posted the link to is only about 3300 pounds, plenty for its 120 horse motor, high on torque so they move okay.
Previas don't weigh much more, and after 93 they were all supercharged.
And available with all wheel drive.:drive:

:popcorn:

Will get off my bandwagon now, just saw that link the other day in my van forum, and its a steal for someone in the market.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My parent's did the mini van thing for a couple years. Had a 93 Aerostar they bought brand new. Was a 5 speed too :thumb:

Couple years later they bought an extended cab truck instead. The mini van wasn't worth a crap pulling a trailer, couldn't haul junk in the back like firewood, lumber, etc. Not very usefull other than to haul 7 or 8 people.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have a 95' Windstar. It has 234xxx miles on it and still runs like a champ. I would take it anywhere, anytime. It has the rear A/C and everything. You can pick these up for $3,000 ish. Gets about 24 mpg on freeway. Besides that, which country do you want to support anyway?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, What about a Honda CRV? I've only heard good about them. The only negative is the power. I would be sacrificing some seating but am still considering it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
You need to get an 86 Dodge Caravan, that's like 6 different colors... 1 of those being rust. And of course it needs to burn oil and engine sounds like a typewriter, though the exhaust fell off a few years ago, so you can't hear that anyways. It'd be right at home in the trailer park. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
New here to the board, but I would recommend a 96 or later Astro. I paid about 5k for my wife's 97 couple years ago and have no complaints. The 4.3 Vortec is a stout motor and it is a full frame vehicle with a 5500 lb. towing capacity. Currently using it as the tow rig for my Jeep while I fund my truck purchase.

·
Registered
65 Posts
honda odyssey for sure...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts