Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally got the propane running good and took it for a test drive. Well I think I had the timing too far advanced or gor something in the intake because the plug for one cylinder disentegrated and there were a half dozel small metal pebbles in the cylinder.

The head looks okay as does the piston, but the pushrods were bent up pretty good and the cylinder walls look like they have been sandblasted.

It doesn't look like there is blowby through the rings though so i'm wondering if I could run a hone down a couple times to try and smooth things up a little and then ruin as is. No camera so no pictures, but anybody think that will work. The walls aren't terrible but the crosshatching is gone.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i'm trying to find out :banghead:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what the ranger is for, i'll be at the run if I have to walk.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Run your fingernail along it if the scratches catch your fingernail a hone probably won't do it. :rotfl: :rotfl: :(

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they don't catch on anything but the surface definately feels rough

·
Registered
164 Posts
throw some new rings in! It will help "break them in" :thumb: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a bunch of funny people on the net tonight :finger: Hey rob you got any motors lying around? I may be needing to get one from you

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
OUCH dave!
timing shouldn't have done it...I'd bet you dropped something inside when you installed it... you should be able to hone it if your compression is still good... later on, just put some new rings in it and call it good..

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Ouch!! sounds like you could hone it, but you are only putting a bandaid on it so you are looking at a rebuild soon.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
thedave said:
It doesn't look like there is blowby through the rings though so i'm wondering if I could run a hone down a couple times to try and smooth things up a little and then ruin as is. No camera so no pictures, but anybody think that will work. The walls aren't terrible but the crosshatching is gone.

HAAHAHA - -had to quote that one

You can try the bottle brush(hone) but like kevin said it is just a crappy temporary fix.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
try sand blasting the cylinder walls to smooth them out also, just use a fine grit sand :finger:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
ouch dave. Let me know if you need any help working on it. I'll be getting back in tomorrow evening so if you plan on doing anything this weekend to it I can lend a hand.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I pulled the thing apart and got the piston out. The cylinder doesn't look too bad so i'm goign to try and clean it up, get a new piston, and put the motor back together. Of course anybody with more engine buildign experience is more than welcoem to drop by and let me know if I am wasting my time.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you have a pm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts