Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eric, Vince and myself ran out to the diversion in blackfoot today and it is FULL. So obviously this puts a damper on the mud run.
So we need all who plan on going to start shooting out some suggestions.
A few ideas we had were...
-run out to the ice caves north of Rexburg and around to Pine butte and the surrounding area.
-Trail ride out to the radio towers east of Rexburg
-or try running Sand Creek again.
Those are just a few we could think of. we ran rocks the last couple times so we figured a good trail ride would be nice.
Please give us some ideas and input if you have somewhere else in mind you would like to try.
The sooner the better so we can get people called and inform them of the changes.
Thanks
Cory

·
Registered
781 Posts
We we're up by caribou mountain last week, Mc Coy creek road had a road closed sign in front of it, I would assume due to too much snow, might be melted enough by now???
We found some pretty good roads around the base of the mountain that were VERY muddy, and had some snow drifts left, somebody might check on that area and see if they opened anything up:drive:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well i am down for some mild trail runnin. I am bringin my 89 again so i can't get too wild as it is all i got. samll rocks, rutted roads a little mud would be fun. I am bringin a friend that wants to play in the mud. She is a prissy girl form soth fremont and she actually was excited to go in some mud. She like rocks too. See what you can find. there is way too much snow up here to go anywhere. we got stopped at 6,500 ft on sat. It would be so sweet if you could find at least a little mud. I'll bring my 3500 psi pressurewasher to for peeps to use to clean up.Let me know what happens. I plan on still comin to rexburg friday night after i get off of work. Later yall

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Well Cory beat me to it. Yep the diversion is full looks liked they started filling it up last week. There is still a small chance they will empty it out but it is doubtfull. So any suggestions as to a mild trail ride that could get muddy would be nice. I thought that most of the stuff around opens up around april 15th or May 1st.

It looks like we will be headed north anyway so you rexburg guys won't have to come all the way down to IF to meet us here.

I would like to get a concensus of what poeple think would be fun by tommorrow and then we can double check to make sure it is open and that will give us enough time to let everyone know

·
Registered
891 Posts
Anything up by caribou should be good and muddy, brockman and skyline ridge area can be alot of fun this time of year.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sounds like most of you are looking for a trail run as compared to rocks. However; if someone wants to run some rocks or at least show us the way to the rocks we would appreciate it. I talked with Scott last weekend and he mentioned that he may be up for it.

Roxanne and I will be heading to the Rexburg with the buggy that weekend. We will be leaving Friday night from Boise staying Saturday and then leaving Sunday morning.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I might be able to carve out a bit of time for wheeling, assuming it'll be fun for a date. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Gotta be back no later then 4:00 though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Eric, Cory, and I have really been discussing where we should go. I am sure everyone is pretty much down with a good trail ride with some nice scenery, mud, dirt, and maybe a little snow. I am not sure where caribou mountain is, but if that is open, I am sure we could go there. Another place we have discussed is out to the ice caves, north to crater butte, then south east to lava crater, and then back to the ice caves. We arent sure if this is open yet, or even if we can make it out there due to snow, but that might be fun to do, with a little exploring too. And other idea was the Relay tower. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't think there is much snow at out by the ice caves. We were out that way this past week and it didn't look like there was. Haven't gone all the way there though. Probably a bit of mud in some of the deeper holes, and maybe some snow in the shade here and there.

The relay towers might have some snow at the top, and the view from the top can be pretty cool if it's clear.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't think there is much snow at out by the ice caves. We were out that way this past week and it didn't look like there was. Haven't gone all the way there though. Probably a bit of mud in some of the deeper holes, and maybe some snow in the shade here and there.

The relay towers might have some snow at the top, and the view from the top can be pretty cool if it's clear.
The relay towers are starting to sound like alot of fun, Im jonzing for some mud but a nice view is always good

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Sounds like most of you are looking for a trail run as compared to rocks. However; if someone wants to run some rocks or at least show us the way to the rocks we would appreciate it. I talked with Scott last weekend and he mentioned that he may be up for it.

Roxanne and I will be heading to the Rexburg with the buggy that weekend. We will be leaving Friday night from Boise staying Saturday and then leaving Sunday morning.
Huh? Your coming this way and you didn't tell anyone? I thought you were my friend? Oh yeah, I don't have any friends, heck I don't even like myself. :cool:

·
Registered
891 Posts
caribou mnt. is about 30 mile east of IF on the back side of palisade mnt range. It has some great views also. And plenty of trails, scenery etc plus alot of history, a lot of old gold mines and towns. The mining towns are pretty much gone though.
I heard that someone had been to the ice caves recently, I don't think I have ever been there and would sure like to.
I wonder if it is to early to get to relay towers. there was still snow in places last year in june, but we have had alot less snow this year. Has anyone been up that way yet?
Any of them sound great to me. I think we talked about going to caribou in the next month or two anyways.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Huh? Your coming this way and you didn't tell anyone? I thought you were my friend? Oh yeah, I don't have any friends, heck I don't even like myself. :cool:
I figured you had your fill of rocks for a while after Moab! I'll PM you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I say everyone who sees this tread and is planning on going this weekend should put in their vote as to where they want to go this weekend. I vote for the Ice Caves and Crater Butte

·
Registered
452 Posts
I vote Radio Towers. Way more scenic and the chance of a little snow makes things interesting.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah, I took matt and collin out there a bunch last year. It's pretty cool. And I was out that way on the association pre-run last year.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts