Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost at the point where I can start building a firewall for the buggy. However i'm not really sure of the best way to go about it. I'm sure i'm opening myself up for more smartass comments but on the off chance that one of you has any advice on how to proceed i'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

Heres a couple pictures of the hole i'm trying to fill. There is almost a foot of space between the fowardmost tube and the back of the motor and I was planning on moving the firewall foward about 6 inches. I want to keep enough room that if need be I can completely remove the transmission without pulling the motor or any internal panels. My plan is to run a fairly tall center console that will house the instruments, switches, and shifters.

I'm in the process of getting the seat mounts made, once thats done I can figure out how much legroom I need and will be able to go from there. What i'm hoping to get from you all is either pictures of stuff you've done or ideas on best tube placement.

Finally, if anyone is interested, i'm planning on being at the base hobby shop all day tomorrow, feel free to stop by if you're in the area

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Put the seats in first. Then figure where your pedals and all the other stuff have to go, then figure where you want it and box it in from there. Seat and pedal placement is pretty crucial if you plan on spending any trail time in it. Comfort was pretty important to me....

Oh yeah I used 20ga. sheet metal and tried to not spand more than about 20 inches. I did in a few places and it pops every now and again. Then you get jerk off passengers that try and put there feet through it and it pops then too. Just ask MuddinMike!!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
He's got some 16 gauge I gave him, should work out pretty good.

Dave if you need more, I have another 4'x9' sheet, or maybe 2 at the shop. Just sitting outside rusting.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Then you get jerk off passengers that try and put there feet through it and it pops then too. Just ask MuddinMike!!!

I was thinkin about this and and chuckeling before I even read you mentioing me.

Dave, make sure you dont get a oil can in the passengerside foot area :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put the seats in first. Then figure where your pedals and all the other stuff have to go, then figure where you want it and box it in from there. Seat and pedal placement is pretty crucial if you plan on spending any trail time in it. Comfort was pretty important to me....

Oh yeah I used 20ga. sheet metal and tried to not spand more than about 20 inches. I did in a few places and it pops every now and again. Then you get jerk off passengers that try and put there feet through it and it pops then too. Just ask MuddinMike!!!

:thumb: thanks that helped. I got the seat mounts built and set the drivers seat in place, and was even able to run some tube for the firewall before I ran out of time. Looks like I might be able to get the pedals mounted and steering hooked up by the end of the week :smokin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts