Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just took the carrier out of one XJ w/Lockrite locker and swapped it into another XJ. 90 into 91. Tony had to take out a couple shims off the bearings to get it to go in the axle housing. The gears seem to be running real good and lined up, but the Lockrite is loose in the carrier and doesn't really enagage. He says it has about a half inch play in it around the mainpin running thru the carrier. Sounds like it isn't popping shut. Has anyone had this problem.
Could it be the thrust washers ?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Where is he measuring the half inch of play from? With both tires off the ground and you turn one tire by hand do both turn? In the same situation try turning the driveshaft by hand, does both tires turn then? Depending on where the half inch is being measured from it could be a major problem. Also was the lockright working in the carrier before it was relocated?

I would also have to question the installation of the new carrier. Setting up gears and carriers take a lot of time and experience. How was the gear pattern from the ring and pinion measured? If it wasnt done properly you will get extreme wear and sooner than later complete failure. There are several products on the market that you put on the ring gear surface then load up the tires with resistance and turn the driveshaft a complete revolution. The mark were the pinion meets the ring gear will tell you if both the ring gear and the pinion gear are set up properly. Also the amount of play or back lash you have have with drive line stationary is critical.

My recomendation would be to take it into a reputable shop like Foothill and have Ken inspect the installation before you have to depend on this to get you out of the mountains.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep same suspicions. Thanks for the help !

·
Registered
348 Posts
Scott,

I got your PM.

Give me a call anytime and I will set it up correctly. Not sure what you are describing with the 1/2" of play... I will just have to look at it.

I do have a lot going on to get ready for NWMF, so it would be best if it could wait until afterward as you suggested.

Later,

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts