Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be better for the local driving conditions? The drive flanges aren't much more but I want to make sure short stretches of road won't screw me up too much. The axle i'm asking for is a dana 60 front 35 spl axleshafts, and detroit locker. Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dave

I have been running drive flanges on my front 44 for quite a while. Before that, I ran Warn hubs but left them locked most of the time. I think flanges are much stronger and best suited for a rig used primarily off road. I have broken 3 axles so far with no damage at all to the flanges. Short stretchs of road won't hurt anything.

Prior to Warn inventing the "selectable hub" all 4wd had flanges in the front and were run both on and off-road.

My front 60 will be getting flanges from "Rock Slide Engineers" in Utah. Cost is $150. This is what Kevin T runs in his.

Hopefully someone will buy my Superwinch selectable hubs on E bay so I can buy flanges :thumb:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I needed to know. I'll get the flanges

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah figure how many Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys, etc have unit bearings... and no selectable hub.

Or the old stuff never ran hubs. I was told by someone hubs were more or less an invention of the 70s because of the gas crisis.

·
Registered
374 Posts
History of Selectable Hubs

1948 Invented by Arthur Warn.
1954 Offered as optional factory equipment by major domestic
manufacturers.
1956 Hub with both lock and free invented by Warn.

:beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Cool trivia. Maybe it was the gas crisis that made hubs popular?? I dunno.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The gas "crisis" of the 70's made kits to retrofit the "new" full-time 4wd's back to "selectable" hubs. Supposed to save gas over the full-time 4wd's.
Full time was only available on automatic equipped rigs while the stick shifts had selectable hubs.

The gas crisis also totally ruined the best era of the century, the era of the "Muscle Cars". There's nothing like driving a big block Camaro!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts