Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if Anyone here knows much about the OX lockers and the ARB lockers? I know that the OX is cable and the ARB is air. How durable are the 2? What are the drawbacks to them? The locker will be in a front axle that is why I don't want to run something like a detroit or weld the spiders. It also will see little to no rockcrawling. If it does see rocks it will be one that fell on the trail and I need around it, that is it. It will mainly just see mud, hunting and more mud, lots of mud.

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
I'm running the Detroit in mine and I have no problem with it. I just built a rig for a friend and we put the OX in it. Routing the cable was a pain. When I drove it while locked in, I found that it turns extremely hard, compaired to the Detroit. My opinion, is of course, the Detroit. It was half the money, with less things to go wrong, such as the ARB.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
How much time do you really spend in 4wd high? If not much, throw an aussie locker in the front end for $250 and forget about it. Assuming you have front hubs.
The biggest drawback to the Ox is getting the cable routed and adjusted properly. Once that is done, it is pretty durable.
The biggest ARB issue is running the plumbing to protect it from getting caught or melted. It is one tough locker and my # 1 choice.
Both of these cost plenty and you pretty much have to pay someone to install them and get the gears dialed in. The aussie you can do yourself, because you dont have to remove the gears off the carrier.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I have had the OX for over two years in my Suburban and I have had no issues with it.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I'm running the Detroit in mine and I have no problem with it. I just built a rig for a friend and we put the OX in it. Routing the cable was a pain. When I drove it while locked in, I found that it turns extremely hard, compaired to the Detroit. My opinion, is of course, the Detroit. It was half the money, with less things to go wrong, such as the ARB.
An OX locker or a ARB become a "full spool" once engaged. That is why it was so hard to turn. A detroit will still unlock. They are both good selectable lockers. I have put many of each in. I personally would chose an ARB for their customer support and I don't like the mecanism that engages the locker on the OX.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've got an ARB, and I have had zero problems with the locker itself. I had an issue with the compressor, and like krazytoy said, their customer service is second to none. One phone call, and the issue was taken care of. It all depands on how much you are willing to spend on something you don't use all the time. I don't see the rocks that often, or even the mud lately, but I wanted something I could turn off and on when I needed it. Detroits are stay locked when you're on the gas. If you're standing on it and turning, the Detroit stays locked. Just my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts