Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1976 GMC K15 Shortbed stepside-400/th350

How much suspension lift is possible before I have to lengthen the drive line?

I'd like to keep the modifications at brake lines(lengthing), and steering arm if possible.

I'm not looking to send the truck into outerspace....I'm going to have to still be able to reach inside the engine compartment......or, I think, sit inside the engine compartment!

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Rule of thumb is about 4 inches. At 6 inches you can sometimes get away with it if you drop the transfercase down a bit.

You can easily fit 35" tires with a 4" lift on that truck. 8)

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are any, and all lift kit rides similar in how the ride "comfort" will be?

Any references to what lift kit company's to check out?

I am looking for a lift kit that has a real good ride, could a local spring shop help me with this as well?

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I would go with the BDS or tuff country(not to be confused with rough country) 4" lift and do a little fender trimming after that to fit the tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could one person be able to install a lift kit?

How are the shackle flips?

They seem real easy to install....?

·
Registered
306 Posts
For ride & flex go with BDS or Tuff Country. BDS has the best warranty, but cost more. Loose the sway bar and enjoy. Trim front fenders where needed.

4" is easy with little changes needed
6" is a better height, but may require drivelines, brakelines, steering, etc, etc, etc.... on & on & on & on...........

Shackle flips are great. I run a 4" from ORD. The idea is easy, but the labor is extensive. If you can do a shackle flip, you can install a complete lift kit.

There is always the homemade shackle flips, but they are gay.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
There is always the homemade shackle flips, but they are gay.[/quote]

Are they born that way or is it a lifestyle choice? :mrgreen:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Rudezuk said:
Actually my first choice on a lift kit for these trucks would be either Rancho or Pro Comp........Tuff country and Rough Country would be my last....
Are you kidding RANCHO??? Might as well bolt some 1" thick flat bar under there because that is how they ride :finger:

·
Registered
50 Posts
2 guys i work with bolth have 72 chevys that are equipped with tuff country ez-ride lifts one a 4inch the other a 6 and bolth ride great and bolth run 35-s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts