Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1991 F-150 4x4. The back end is up way higher in the back. Someone told me about a thing called a leveling kit. The only problem is, I have NO idea what there talking about. Is this the same as lifting the front? and if not, which is better cause I am totally confused.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
yup they are talking about the leveling kit. It is a 2" or 2.5" kit that you can get through rough country for pretty cheap. So basically it is a little lift in the front. If you plan on lifting it anyways spend the money now and get a 4" or a 6" lift and don't screw with it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yup thats stock for that type of truck. The back ends are like that due to the dual nature of pick-ups. It sits higher in the back so when you load the truck and the suspension is compressed by the load you still have a drivable vehicle. Otherwise when you throw in 1/2 cord of green wood the rear would sag so low that the headlights would be pointed at the stars, and the front end would kind of "float".
Plus people expect trucks to look like that :mrgreen: so thats how designers build them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Be careful on which kit you buy. They're all going to be spacers for the coils, but some of the better kits include brackets to correct for steering. If you future plans include lifting the truck, don't waste the money to level it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts