Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get one on before Moab. I'm thinking a three link version using tractor joints from CAL with a shackle on the frame side. Lower side on the tube and upper side on a raised mount. Middle of the axle close to the driveline.

I've seen the sliding versions but I think I have the room that I dont need one.

Not aware of another design that works as good.

Any ideas?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I think that would work fine. I plan on using sch 80 pipe with bushing at the axle and a jonny joint at the shackle end.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Superflex joint at the top.

Spring bushings on the axle....

Do not use pipe....It wont last.....

Use some DOM tubing, you will be happy with it.

Get as close to the center line of the axle as possible, I have even done them with a "Y" style connection on the axle and run over the top of the dline :thumb:

So a tube over the top of the dline mouted above the diff to a crossover tube over the diff(like you are mounting links).
~2' forward of that, go to a "Y" with 2 pieces of tubing, one to each side of the diff center of the tubes.

And of course, put a shackle on it!

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
So 1 3/4 .250 DOM????

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Rudezuk said:
1.5" .250 will work just fine over the top of the Dline :thumb:

On a big fat pig rig, i would use 2" .250 where it was not going to be over the dline.
1/4" is pretty thick, I would think you could go with thinner material, but overkill on the traction bar is not a bad thing. I have pulled hrew apart on the axle side (4 times) so gusset the eyes to the bars as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
gripguru said:
1/4" is pretty thick, I would think you could go with thinner material
That's what I was thinking too, but I guess it all comes down to the triangulation in the final design. If it is going to be a single tube all the way from the axle to the shackle, 1/4" might be too thin :banghead:

Have any tentative designs you can post Sandman?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts