Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my poor drving skill seem to gernade these things, I've got to get some sort of pinion protection. Kurt has a real nice one for the rear but I have not been able to find something for the front.

Any ideas?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
UUHHHHH Stay out of the rocks????? :finger:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
see, I think you don't have enough skinny petal pressure going on there to keep your front end "light"..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
good luck in the search!

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
well if you had a FORD with a HIGH pinion you would be golden :finger:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The housing is also the spring perch so I cant really rotate it much.

I thought about the skid plate also. Another solution that I saw on a mud racer was about a 5" diameter pipe fixed to the end of the pinion housing for protection. It might be too much stuff in the way though.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Matt, I have mine rotated up 2 degrees with shims. It actually make a big difference. I really don't remember what your angle looks like know after you changed to the longer springs up front. On a side note how much axle wrap are you getting with the longer front springs. Do you think your pinion is rotating down at all whill using a blip of throttle to get over an obsticale? Just throwing some ideas or thoughts out there.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All above could very well be the case. I tossed the shims when I dropped down to the 4" lift.

OK, I'll go a 2 degree and me and a buddy have a guard half figured out that should do the trick.

The axles wrap is hardy there (that I can tell with hoping in the sand and stuff). I'm sure that it is present though. I left the overload on from the rear and left the spring clamps on to fight just that.

Maybe I could do some resurfacing of the passenger side housing to get some twist out of it.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
is ANI-FACEBOOK!
2,779 Posts
After some searching...I'm bringing this back from the dead.

What have most people done to protect their front pinions. I know you can purchase the rear diff guard for some rear diffs like the 14bolt. What about a front D60? Rear D60? What have you seen made or made your self. I'd like to see some pictures if they can be found.

Lumpdogs response of:

I was thinking about building a skid plate that bolted up to the bottom row of cover bolts, extended under the housing and past the pinion and ujoint, with some sort of ubolt bolting it around the pinion snout by the seal.

This seems to be what I have thought of but I'm looking for other ideas also.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I ran into this problem as well. I really could not think of a good (stout) way of making a guard to protect it. What I ended up doing was cutting the inner C's off and rotating the front axle up. This did a few things first, it made my drive line a little higher, second, I was able to point the pinion at the T-case for better angles in the drive line, third, it made a front end alignment possible.

LT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts