Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, with the carnage on the waterfall on Upper this year at Moab, I think the answer is a good boatside. My current rocker protection got in the way.

I have some different thoughts about approaching this. One is to boatside and then ron side armor on the outside of it. The other one (that I like) is to incorporate the armor into the boatsiding itself. I was thinking about framing in the boatside with tough square tube and then attaching the side armor to it. The tube would be welded to the main structure (become the structure) with a panel sealing it in and welded to the floor. This later idea might actually be easier and slightly lighter overall. But, I thought the current setup was perfect. While bullet proof (believe me, it was field tested) hung down in the way.

I'm looking for other viewpoints as I dont want to do it again if possible.

I'm also not really worried about doors anymore. :mrgreen:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would like to learn more about this subject, so post up! It may not pertain to me much now, but someday............

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would go with the later.

check out baddog and supersized 75 on ck5, both have pretty good pics on thier pages.

what is your rocker measurement as is to the ground?

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to measure it. This winter I'll work on the design and maybe start cutting this spring.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
have you seen any others that were boatsided? can you point us to some pics?
Thanks! :thumb:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen a few rigs on CK5 that did the boatsiding. I planned on doing it differently though incorporating the side armor and stuff.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still like some form over function. I plan on blending it in as best I can. :mrgreen:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
woah nellie! that's some pretty extensive mods! that rig will be one of the best fullsizes in Idaho, I bet.. :finger:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Maybe, I have some thing planned this winter :deal:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with. :mrgreen:

I plan on going as far as I can and still look like a Blazer, or close to one.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Me too. I picked up a 1970 Blazer to drive everyday and "could" tow another "blazer" or what is left of one to the trail. So I can take my trail rig a little futher than I was going to before. I can wait to see how yours turns out. I know one thing they will both be "trail rated" :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
oh oh can I join the "club" I just dont care about body damage so I'll wedge my self through there :thumb:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Matt how far up are you going to cut??? So far that the doors will no longer fit???

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I like the idea of it looking as much like a blazer as possible and hopefully I can be in the "club" also and since I am a little concerned about body damage I will just follow Mike through the stuff :thumb: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm going to forget the doors. I was going to cut as high as I could and cut the door up to match and still have a window, but then I realized that I have had the doors on in a long time. I plan on going pretty high and then coming up with something that snaps on if I ever feel like it. I have not completely figured it out yet.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts