Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I found my driver-side rear leaf spring twisted, no, rotated is closer. It rotated on it's pin in a CCW direction about 5 to 8 degrees. This jacked the rear axle and started the passenger-side axle seal to weep. Close inspection revealed that the driver-side spring pad was rotated back a hair (no more than two degrees, I'd guess, but I can't be sure) while the passenger-side pad was straight up on 12 o'clock. I figured that to be the cause (the spring became a lever and the pad a fulcrum,) so I took it in to the shop and had it fixed as warranty work.

Today I noticed the passenger-side spring is twisted CW a little less than the driver-side spring had been in the past. There was no obvious cause and the axle seals on both sides are holding. When I have time, I'll take it in for another warranty fix. But I have to wonder. I mean, it's not the spring pad this time. There aren't any obvious lever and fulcrum work going on. Why would this be happening?

The springs are aftermarket 6" lift on blocks that are maybe 3" tall. Yes, I don't like that either...getting rid of the blocks is on the list of future mods. They are of stock length and the pin is in the stock location. The spring hangers are stock and weren't (!) replaced. While that was probably an oversight, I don't know if it can be the guilty party here. Maybe so...don't know.

Dunno if any of that information helps, but it can't hurt. Lemme know if anything springs to mind, if you would. Danka.

-Mikey-

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Leaf springs rotating is generally a sign of u-bolts not tight enough, that block can add to the problem, with axle wrap added by the block, it could be stretching the u-bolts causing them to loosen, then the spring rotate.

If they are the zinc plated aftermarket u-bolts, I would toss them and go get good u-bolts from a sping shop. The ones provided with blocks are normally cheap and dont hold well.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I usually tighten my u-bolts every oil change and it works well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I tried tightening first...did it till I broke an end off of one. I didn't think about differences in quality, though, just thought I reefed on it too hard. Good point. If memory serves (I'm inside for the night...not gonna actually walk outside and look now, am I?) I do have the zinc plated ones, though. I'll look into replacing them. Thanks!

-Mikey-

<Pause for a day>

I went and looked at the u bolts. They were thick, blackish iron - seem real heavy duty to me. Guess that takes that out.

Since there's nothing along the length of the springs keeping them inline with the overload spring, I think I'll put something in on either side about four inches out from the point the springs seem to pivot on. Some 3/8" all-thread, some plates, and some bolts ought to do the trick. I hope.

-Mikey-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts