Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a tow rig... (updated !!PICS!! 11/03)

Already paid for it.... Bought the plane ticket to go up and get it.... Already trying to sell parts off of it.... Can't wait to get it down here! :thumb:

'96 Freightliner FL80, 250K miles, 3126 Cat (300hp), 6 spd, 70" double bunk condo sleeper, 22' dry van/box (for sale!), single screw. The plan is to get the box off of there, trim the frame to just aft of the axle, build a 16' flatbed with a tapered and dovetailed toter-style back end, recessed gooseneck ball, and some other stuff along the way.... It's up in Rochester NY, so it'll be a helluva trek to get it down here. If all goes well, it should be operational/functional in 8-10 weeks. We'll see. And once it's done, I'll have something to drive up to ya'lls neck of the woods and 'wheel on those trials I saw pics of last year :finger: I'll post up progress as it happens.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cybrfire said:
It just might tow something! :thumb:

LOL...hopefully, it'll tow alotta something! 3-4 trail rigs, actually. 8)

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
That my freind will probably be just alright, :mrgreen: That is cool post pics as you change things :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
530 Posts
SHAAAWEEEEEEEEEEET,so when ya getting that shitbox,and the other shitbox down to this area?And just a heads up,thats going to be a long ass haul.2 and a half days it took me at tween 18-20hrs a day! and that was at an average of 52-57mph! :finger:

So did you figure out the registration dilly on that hog?What that big pig run ya?Hows the rust situation on it?noticed the rims :scared:

Anywhooooooooo get your junk down here,and lets mob :thumb: :beer: :thumb: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: whistle

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RockPunk said:
Anywhooooooooo get your junk down here,and lets mob :thumb: :beer: :thumb: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: whistle

That's the idea.... After seeing all those pics and videos of the places ya 'wheel at up there (you remember, back when the K5 was WHOLE!), I definitely want to load up, come up, and see if I can keep up! :finger: But you still gotta be there, Eric....and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh dont frett I'll be round,just get that turd up here soon as possible before i leave :finger:

Migth be a grip now,we'll see how work goes :thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, I see you're on.....call me.... if you can't call, give me a number to call.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the box off. Now I need to focus on the construction of the flatbed. I hope to have it functional as a hauler in 3-4 weekends.

My truck club buddies and friends around here don't know about it yet. I'm just going to show up one day with it at a club ride.... I figure that'll get some good attention. :finger:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gripguru said:
You got a good storage unit now....

I would have, if I'd have had room to plant the box. I don't. So I found a buyer for it (dealer up in GA who specializes in Expeditor trucks), and now I have the bare frame ready to build a flatbed on. As the build progresses, I'll keep the pics coming.

Oh, and Yes, I will on-baord air at 120psi set up on the truck using a 50ft retractable hose reel mounted under the bed. :finger:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
big94GMC said:
Oh, and Yes, I will on-baord air at 120psi set up on the truck using a 50ft retractable hose reel mounted under the bed. :finger:

lol, you suck!

Seriously, that is a killer rig!

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tumbleweed said:
I would consider a water tank between the frame rails, with a 12v. pump.

It's got a sink on the inside...

As far as interior pics, you'll have to give me some time. Once the flatbed is done, I'll turn my attention to the inside.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I only have the weekends to work on it, so, at the end of each weekend I'll update. Pretty much, all we got done this weekend was trimming the frame and getting the beavertail angle the way I wanted it, and started framing up for the bed. More pics as progress, well....progresses. :finger:

This is my first big rig project, so I'm learning alot, and things are going slower then I'd like, but all in all, I'm havin' a blast. This is alot different then a GM frame :mrgreen:

Here is the angling finished, still needing to be vertically cut for the rear bumper:

Here is making the vertical cut for the end of the truck:

Just figuring out where the front will be, and how wide. I settled on 100" wide, and starting 2" from the living quarters. When we lay out the joices, they'll be 12" apart.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, by the way.... In the third to last picture, the flip gooseneck ball will go about where the tape measure is sitting on the crossmember. Just FYI.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts