Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wuz a spectator, but it was fun. Only stayed for the first half, I was tired of having the left side of my face sandblasted.

It was interesting to see guys competing with open differentials, and that ford truck, tuff n nuff had a bad night, bogged about 10 feet from the starting line.

Interesting also to see super-noisy rigs getting beat by guys with sane engines/exhaust. Noise doesn't equal power and traction!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Lets see some pics.
How did Mark and Glens new Willies run?
Hope there was a good turnout and hope Darrel got the Dawg back to its old self. Would love to hear what was going on when it got rolled.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yep, the DAWG is back. We both took 1st in our classes. Pretty good turn out for such a windy, dusty evening. As for what happened when the DAWG rolled ..... test run to check things out, hubs weren't locked in the front and the back got a bunch of traction and around it came. One & a quarter times. Phil was driving w/ Sandman riding shotgun. Both were strapped in (but no helmets :shame: ) and both are stiff, sore & bruised but nothing serious.

As for Glen & Mark's new rig ... they didn't run the nitrous as they were testing things out. It will be a great race when they get it dialed in! We are looking forward to it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Glad to hear no one was hurt to bad, including the Dawg. Sounds like it is running good. I'll have to get up there and checkout a PV race.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I have talked with some other racers,

We feel that the sponsors should set the example....

If you are going to run through the pit, competing in the races or grudge matches, shouldnt you follow all safety guidelines?

I.E. HELMETS?

just my $.02

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think that should also include alcohol consumption. I read the rules, then I listened to them at the drivers meeting, Then I saw by example that the rules are only meant for some of the participants. Apperently its a do as I say thing rather than do as I do example thing! truly unfortunate, especially for the younger crowd

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I agree with you chuck...

Rules are meant for everyone regardless.

Last year this was discussed. If someone sees alcohol consumption in the pits, either something needs to be said to the individual or individuals,
or,
If that is not something that the observer feels confortable with, then it needs brought to the attension of the race officials.

There are a ton of people and a few officials, it is up to everyone to make sure everything happens the way it should.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The announcer guy was not setting a good example for an official-drinking Coors at the tower before the grudge matches. I thought the rules were for anytime that rigs were running the track, seeing as how the track is still liable. And more than one racer was drinking as soon as his rig was on the trailer-before the races ended. I confronted that same racer last year about it-nothing has changed. I know that Chuck spoke to him about it yesterday. Overall, with the 25% increase in fees-weather-ignoring rules-scoring issues; I did not have a good time.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Yep, helmets from here on out. Even on dry dirt on private property during the test run. Even a neck support may not be a bad idea in the higher classes. Mine had some real trouble holding my fat head on. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The announcer guy was not setting a good example for an official-drinking Coors at the tower before the grudge matches. I thought the rules were for anytime that rigs were running the track, seeing as how the track is still liable. And more than one racer was drinking as soon as his rig was on the trailer-before the races ended. I confronted that same racer last year about it-nothing has changed. I know that Chuck spoke to him about it yesterday. Overall, with the 25% increase in fees-weather-ignoring rules-scoring issues; I did not have a good time.[/quote]

Don, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourself and I appreciate your help and comments. But I need to respond....

Well lets see, Fees:
The gate fee went up from $5 to $6 = $1 increase .
The race entry fee went up from $20 to $25 = $5 increase.
If you were a driver you didn't pay for a pit pass. A driver's increase this year went up by a whopping $6!:shocked:

Unless I am mistaken, all classes (8) had a payback to 2nd place this year plus trophies. Last year only the top 2 classes had payback.

PV is a privately owned facility that has seen their insurance sky rocket this year. Their expenses have not gone down this year (equipment, insurance, taxes, payroll, trophies, etc.).

A little reality check on fees: Example - Last year Soda charged $30 to race, $8 gate fee for adults and $5 for kids 6-12. I don't remember what they charged for pit passes. I expect to pay more this year to race there.

Scoring issues? What? Their printer didn't work and they had to do it all by hand as fast as they could trying not to make any mistakes? Anyone who has had to work in the tower knows how frustrating it is when something as simple as a printer not working can turn it all into an interesting experiance.

As for the rules about drinking after you have already finished racing...here is how the rules are written:
"No alcoholic beverages or illgal drugs shall be taken by any driver (or member of his/her pit crew) prior or during competition. Any driver (or member of his/her pit crew) who appear to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs at any time will be disqualified and their entry fee shall be forfeited".
Nothing stated here about "Spectators" on the pit side. I agree that something should be written about and made clear to all that alcohol is not allowed on the pit side prior to and during the competition. I would like that to include the grudge matches too. My problem with that, and I will use myself as an example, we were not involved in any way with the grudge matches and were finished racing and all classes had finished racing...should we wait all night to let the grudge match people finish racing before we crack open a cool one back at our trailer?

Helmets should ALWAYS be worn during a race, weather it's a grudge match or not (or even if it's just a test pass on your own property:eek: ).

We all need to speak up about seeing anyone misbehaving. Better when you see it than a day later. Like it has been pointed out before, there are a limited number of people who are actually IN CHARGE of track rules.

We didn't enjoy the weather either. I'll talk with Rick Lance and see if we can do better next time :D. With all that said, we enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed seeing everybody we race with. We look foreward to the next race.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a good time and can't wait for the next race. Is there eny way we could get the times posted for all the classes on here? thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hey Rick, Your Jeep was looking/sounding really good. It looked like your first pass didn't go as good as I had hoped, What happened?

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
I had fun, and I didn't really even go out to race, just to hang out, see everyone, and give Monster Truck another rig in a small class.

A few things I notice that need attention:

1. Rules need to be followed. In monster truck there were 4 trucks, but 2 of them didn't meet the class rules. The rules state 39 and above, and two of the trucks were running 38's. Now Joann and I didn't have a problem this race, but rules are rules, and hell, it would have meant that I would have finished second, with a trophy. Of course, that still would have meant I would have finished last...LOL

2. The alcohol in the pits. It was stated at the drivers meeting that no one was to have alcohol in the pits during the racing, not the spectators, drivers, etc. Do we follow the rules as they are printed or spoken? And when does "racing" end?

Good things:

1. Track prep seemed good, and the officials seemed to be doing a good job of keeping things moving and such.

2. I was impressed that everyone seemed to be lining up in time and correctly without a whole lot of hassle. More of a compliment to the racers on this one.

Overall it was good I thought, but I see things from a different point of view since I have been on that side of the fence. I probably won't be out racing again with the Blazer much, it is just not built to be a racer. I did however tell Joann that when she came out to race, I would try to make it out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Around here, wherever possible we ban open containers from the "pit" area for the duration of the day/evening. Drivers get a wristband on their left wrist which they must present to the green flagman before they enter the pit. If at any time during the day they are caught with alcohol (or otherwise in violation of safety rules), they lose their armband & are banned from competing for the day with NO refund on their entry fees. The system isn't flawless, but it solved 95% of our problems.

TEX

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm not too clear on the whole thing...

You pay $6 and then another $25 if you want to race?

Does that $31 allow 2 crew members as well? or are they paying $6 a piece too?

and it's $6 for spectators?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The announcer guy was not setting a good example for an official-drinking Coors at the tower before the grudge matches. I thought the rules were for anytime that rigs were running the track, seeing as how the track is still liable. And more than one racer was drinking as soon as his rig was on the trailer-before the races ended. I confronted that same racer last year about it-nothing has changed. I know that Chuck spoke to him about it yesterday. Overall, with the 25% increase in fees-weather-ignoring rules-scoring issues; I did not have a good time.
:darn: I apologize for the beer. I guess we will get more clarification on what should be done in this regard.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts