Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out wheelin' today and ran carnage, gatekeeper, and some others. When I stopped to air back up, the sherrif stopped to talk. He wanted to know where I had been and if i had seen anyone driving over the narrow cattle gates. He was very nice about it and gave me his card and asked if I would get the licence plates of anyone that I saw driving over them and give him a call. Just a heads up to all the wheel in the Owyhees.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think the message here is to make sure nobody in anything larger than a four-wheeler uses those cattle gates. If the gates keep ketting torn up by people wheelin the next step will be banning everything larger than 4-wheelers in the Owyhee's.

I'm too nice of a guy to physically beat anyone with a tire iron if I see them crawlin through the gates, but I have no qualms about narcing them out to the police. It would suck for the guy getting in trouble, but I would rather see the guilty few punished than have all wheelin banned in the area. Which is exactly what will happen if we piss of not only the BLM, but the motorbike/atv crowd by tearing up the gates.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is only one Sheriff in Owyhee County. Gary Aman is the elected Sheriff of the county. All the others who wear the uniform are "deputies" and are hired, and fired by Gary Amen.

I have met with Gary several times about land use issues in particular as it relates to "rock crawling" which is what I enjoy. Gary is not "anti rock crawling" and neither are his deputies. They are, and should be, against property destruction. Anyway, I thought I would post up his "blog" from the Owyhee County web site.

It would be in our best interest to work with Gary and his deputies as has been mentioned. Take good care of the land and property in Owyhee County so that we can continue to enjoy it as long as possible.
jT

Words from the Owyhee County Sheriffs Office

The Owyhee County Sheriff’s Office is a separate entity within the system of the Owyhee County Government. The Sheriff is an elected position with a 4-year term.

The position of Sheriff is a Constitutional based office. In other words the Office of Sheriff is given its authority by the Constitution of the State of Idaho. Idaho Code sets forth the duties of the Sheriff. It is also the oldest position in the system of county government where the “shire” guarded the “reeves” or property for the King of England.

The position of Owyhee County Sheriff is extensive, as Owyhee County was the first county within the territory of Idaho in 1863. I am the 34th Sheriff in Owyhee County. The history of the Owyhee Sheriffs is very interesting. Some of the early Sheriffs were elected with the possible belief that the best Sheriff was someone who was versed in breaking the law and therefore would probably know how to catch crooks.

Thankfully, sometimes change is good. The office is now one of professionalism, honesty and integrity.

The duties of the Sheriff are many and varied, from security in the courthouse to operating the county jail, patrolling the roads, selling drivers licenses for the State of Idaho, serving Civil Process and not least ‘catching bad guys.’

I was elected in 1996 to take over the reigns from retiring Sheriff Tim Nettleton. I was re-elected in 2000.

I am well qualified to perform the duties as required and to operate a Sheriffs’ Office and Jail in the most professional, proficient and cost effective way while still being one of the few Idaho Sheriffs with such a high rate of crime clearance.

I started in Law Enforcement with the Homedale Police Reserves in 1979 after helping out at a fatal house fire. I realized that the most important thing in life was to help others. In 1980 I started as a Dispatch/Jailer with Owyhee County. The murder of the two fish and game officers by Claude Dallas was about two weeks later.

I then was promoted to a deputy sheriff in the Marsing area. In 1983 I was appointed as the Chief Deputy under Tim Nettleton, a position I held until 1996 when I was elected to the office of Sheriff.

My goal as Sheriff is to keep the department on a continual path upward , constantly striving to improve integrity and professionalism. I am extremely proud of this department and the things we have accomplished. We have a TRIAD program, which is a National program, associated with the National Sheriff’s Association in which Law Enforcement works with the Senior Citizens to help make our communities a safer place to live, Child Safety and the DARE programs.

I have one of the best Sheriff’s Posse in the State. My Jailers, Dispatchers, Chief Deputy and Administrative employees are tops. Other larger neighboring departments actively recruit my employees. The reason for this is their dedication and abilities. I often have had turnover and this is the reason.

While I have worked very hard to help develop the county's new salary structure and believe it will help in retaining officers. Owyhee County will always be a little behind and therefore employees will migrate toward higher paying jobs. However, like I tell all of the employees, quality of life means a lot. Where else can you go where you can go to work and observe the beauty of Owyhee County and associate with the best people in the world.

I am a member of the Western States Sheriffs’ Association, National Sheriffs’ Association and the Idaho Sheriffs’ Association and sit on several committees including, Search and Rescue, Professional Development and Hazardous Materials of which I am the chairman. I am a graduate of the FBI National Academy and hold an Advanced Certificate in Idaho Law Enforcement.

When I am not busy being Sheriff, I enjoy hunting, fishing and being with my family.

--Gary Aman, Owyhee County Sheriff

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Thanks john, helps me to understand the roles better. I knew that there was more than one law enforcement officer, but I did not know to refer to them as deputies vs sheriff.

I have never had a bad encounter with any law enforcement out there. Certainly different than my skateboarding days. :thumb:

We have already made it very public to avoid the cattleguards and I believe that the users have taken that very seriously. I cannot say enough about the responsible actions that the wheelers have taken. Some have even gone so far as to make repairs to help rectify that situation. While not endorsed or encouraged, still appreciated. I would like to continue to open up communication with Gary, and I know that you are totally on top of that. FYI, I can escape from work some weekdays to go out there too. Lets see if he can go play one day???

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, planning on it Nate. Should be fun! Maybe you can skateboard down 2HD!! That would be cool!!
sent you an e mail

jT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts