Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago I take my wifes Nissan into a local tire/repair shop to get the brakes done. I normally do my own brakes, but I was pressed for time and just didn't want to mess with it. I figured with it being a well known chain shop, and my wifes uncle actually in a position of some authority there I wouldn't get hurt to bad. I only had to say no to two or three extra things they tried to sell me that I didn't need. At the same time I had to pay to have the front wheel bearings re-packed because the hub had to come off to remove the rotors.

Shortly after getting the brakes done my wife started to complain about a noise coming from the passenger front end. I'm just deaf enough and the tire tread was just aggressive enough that I couldn't hear a thing. I let way too much time go by and finally went to rotate the tires this weekend. So when I pulled of the front passenger tire there was an absolute scary amount of slop in the front hub. There was enough slop in the hub to allow at least 1-2" of easy wiggle at each end of the tire. I could actually feel the slop straight in and out in the hub. My wife took it back into the shop the next day and told them what I found.

:pissed: Now this is the first part that really ticks me off. Both her uncle, and the "mechanic" said they just didn't think anything they could have done would cause the problem. Why do they have to pull that crap without even looking at the thing?

:pissed: Number two that ticked me off is they called me the next day and said they just didn't have time to look at it. They couldn't even squeeze ten minutes out of the day to wiggle the dang tires???? In my opinion they totally screwed teh pooch on this customer service opportunity. I couldn't let them keep it because I'm heading up into the mountains for vacation next week. I took it home and in my stinkin driveway I pulled the front hub and checked it out.

First thing I noticed is the Nissan hub COULD NOT have loosened on its own. The nut keeper is attached to the nut with two machine screws that were still attached. Next thing I noticed was the hub nut was several rotations away from even being remotely snug. I proceeded to repack the bearings, properly torqued the damn hub and buttoned it all back up. Whole procedure took maybe two hours. I took the wife with me for a test drive, and according to her there is no more noise coming from the hub:thumb:.

My biggest regret of this whole story is not being able to stand over the shoulder of the "mechanic" while they find that, ohh yea they did screw up. Then watch the slugs try to lie their way out of it.

Morals of the story:

1: Listen to my wife. She's picked up a little mechanical knowledge, and her hearing is way better than mine :bowdown:

2: Rotate my tires, and keep up on general maintenance a touch better.:rolleyes:

3: Do ALL of my own mechanic work. If I have to take a rig to a shop then unless they will let me watch over their shoulder and even help then I'll take it someplace else.

This is the fourth shop in Boise that I have sworn off. Two major chains, and two smaller shops. Sorry about the long rant, just had to get this crap off my chest before I take off to the mountains tommorrow. BTW none of the shops I have sworn off are affiliated in any way with this forum:thumb:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Reminds me of something my dad used to always say "why should I take it to a shop? I can screw it up just as bad myself and it's allot cheaper. "

The only time I ever took a car to a shop was when I took the wifes mustang in to have a short tracked down. She went back later that day to pick it up. The dealer had unhooked the car alarm, messed up the stereo and charged me over $500 dollors for a "new" alternator. Well after I got home to this I went out to take a look. The alternator hadn't even been changed:shocked: It still had the marking on it from the place I had rebuild it a few months prior :darn:.
Well long story short after a few phone calls I ended up with my money back and I told myself I would never go back there again. O I ended up finding the short in the driving lights myself. Makes me glad to have friends that do this stuff for a living now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts