Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been out of the jeep scene for a few years (well more than a few... maybe more than a few of you been alive) and now that I'm back in a real rig I don't see the good'ol jeep wave!!!!
My first driving experience (late '60's) was in a '47 willy's flat fender CJ2A and I thought I was the coolest thing on the road. Every jeep I passed waved at me or blinked their lights. I soon realized it was part of the code.... "Thou Shalt Wave at All Other Jeeps"You never know when you might need a friend out there. Now that I'm back in a jeep (sorry bow-tie guys) very few even look up let alone wave (present company not included :) and if they do see my wave I get crazy looks. Am I that ugly???? I'm starting to get a complex. Do I need more lift, bigger tires, more dirt?
Back in the day (I sound like an old grandpa- Oh I guess I am a grandpa.... well no matter :) Back in the day there was a whole hierarchy behind the "WAVE". You drive a stock rig and pass BUILT rig you wave with a slight bow and accept their hand lift with honor. If they had more lights than a school bus, or more chrome than Les Schwab you'd raise a few fingers of the steering wheel and hope you didn't have to rely on them to pull off the rocks. Even in the dark.... coming at you are a pair of head lights a little to close together, a bit high and looking a bit lose.... you give them the blink and get one in response. Some one you could depend on in a pinch.
So what's happened?

·
Registered
170 Posts
too many jeeps that never see anything but the street. I'm like you. Used to wave at all the other CJ's, YJs, and TJs, but few wave back any more.

·
Registered
940 Posts
for the most part, the cruiser crowd still does that. The only funny looks comes from the mall crawlers & soccer moms. There's just too many jeeps around (kinda like pennies on a convinience store's counter). Time to step up. :flipoff:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some of us still wave. :thumb: Of course only about half wave back. The funny thing is I've given a wave and then realized I'm not in my Jeep. At lease the strange look of "do I know you?" makes sense in that case. :eek:

·
Registered
346 Posts
too many jeeps that never see anything but the street. I'm like you. Used to wave at all the other CJ's, YJs, and TJs, but few wave back any more.
So does that mean XJs, ZJs, WJs,MJs, KJs don't count :rotfl:
I do wave at Built XJs though so I should shut up:shame:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for the most part, the cruiser crowd still does that. The only funny looks comes from the mall crawlers & soccer moms. There's just too many jeeps around (kinda like pennies on a convinience store's counter). Time to step up. :flipoff:
OUCH!!!!:cool: You mean I shouldn't sell my K5? Just when I thought I was moving up in the world.....:D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I don't wave at anyone normally unless I know who they are, and then I just give them the finger. :thumb:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I was just thinking the other day that I get more toyota people waving at me than I ever did jeep people when driving my jeeps.

I read somewhere a long time ago about the rules pertaining to the the jeep wave, like if your jeep is nicer than thiers, they have to wave first, or even if thier jeep isn't as nice as yours but they're driving with thier top down on a cold day covered with mud and yours is clean and has the top on, you had to wave first, it was pretty funny.
Maybe that's the problem, while everyone is trying to figure out who should wave first, you end up passing each other and nobody waves:rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
66 Posts
if the other jeep has any mod's done I'll wave but I got tired of being ignored by soccer moms in tj's so I limit my waves

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i humor myself at the sight of these trail rated vehicles with 20" wheels and a set of 255/35/20 tires on them it makes me laugh that someone ruined the chance of it being a cool off road rig. then again the same goes for all the rigs i see that have 4/6" lifts and 37'' MTRs and think what a waste of loot when they treat it like a mini van. and props to those that take there 30k rigs and get them muddy every now and then. rant over! sorry!

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
It is interesting... Volkswagen owners, mainly older VW owners are very consistant at waving. Toyota owners are good as well. While I own both (toy and VW) I try to wave at all that appear to actually get used (4x4 crowd) or restored/being used older VW's. Kind of funny how many people are just plain snotty and refuse to wave........

·
Registered
385 Posts
So I've been out of the jeep scene for a few years (well more than a few... maybe more than a few of you been alive) and now that I'm back in a real rig I don't see the good'ol jeep wave!!!!
My first driving experience (late '60's) was in a '47 willy's flat fender CJ2A and I thought I was the coolest thing on the road. Every jeep I passed waved at me or blinked their lights. I soon realized it was part of the code.... "Thou Shalt Wave at All Other Jeeps"You never know when you might need a friend out there. Now that I'm back in a jeep (sorry bow-tie guys) very few even look up let alone wave (present company not included :) and if they do see my wave I get crazy looks. Am I that ugly???? I'm starting to get a complex. Do I need more lift, bigger tires, more dirt?
Back in the day (I sound like an old grandpa- Oh I guess I am a grandpa.... well no matter :) Back in the day there was a whole hierarchy behind the "WAVE". You drive a stock rig and pass BUILT rig you wave with a slight bow and accept their hand lift with honor. If they had more lights than a school bus, or more chrome than Les Schwab you'd raise a few fingers of the steering wheel and hope you didn't have to rely on them to pull off the rocks. Even in the dark.... coming at you are a pair of head lights a little to close together, a bit high and looking a bit lose.... you give them the blink and get one in response. Some one you could depend on in a pinch.
So what's happened?
When I'm in my Jeep, I wave at all other Jeeps regardless of size. I must say that I prefer the more built ones, but remember when my Jeep was completely stock. It totally torques me when they don't wave. :lame: But I guess they are just the mall crawling yuppie types that don't know that "It's a Jeep thing, & they are supposed to wave." :deal: I get what you are saying MR.BILL. I guess I finally just realized that when they driver doesn't wave then I'm waving at the Jeep. :idea: I say we don't give up, sooner or later we will come upon someone who knows the Jeep Wave & Wave back. It is up to all of us to restore it, so I say keep on Waving even it the stupid-head in that other Jeep doesn't wave first or whatever. :rolleyes:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
OUCH!!!!:cool: You mean I shouldn't sell my K5? Just when I thought I was moving up in the world.....:D
I guess that just depends on who you talk to.

It's a jeep thing I don't understand:rolleyes: I just wave at other built rigs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This has made me think (ouch:) that having all those Mall crawling rigs out there is a good thing for us. Just think how many great well preserved, never been off the road, dent free rigs we'll have available to us 10 years from now when we need another project.
So keep Waving but don't make them spill their Latte and drop their cell phone while they try and figure out who's you are and why you keep waving at them. We don't want them to crash that nice DD we will be buying in 2016.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I don't know when I am down in Brunea and about that area every car you see waves at you and you wave back. It is a small town thing that is dying off.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't know when I am down in Brunea and about that area every car you see waves at you and you wave back. It is a small town thing that is dying off.
They're not waving at you Lehi, they are making sure they are ready for the sun to hit them after you go past.:rotfl:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wave but most don't even see me, let alone wave back. I don't think people check out each others rigs as much. Or maybe they just don't check out my rig...:darn:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts