Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may or may not know, I have enough parts in my garage to build two trucks....D60/14b, 5.13's, 4.10's, detroits, spool, hydro assist, hi-steer's, D44/12b, TH350, SM465, NP203, NP205, two 350's - one TBI, the other getting turned into a 383 - adapters, linkages, a bunch of ORD stuff for leaf spring vehicles, etc etc etc.... A TON of shit! But getting them together has been a struggle :oops: .

Recently I struck a deal with someone in California - to buy his already-built-and-running '73 Chevy that started out life as a K30 regular cab long bed. I couldn't build it for what I bought it for. I'm not proud that I bought it - I usually make fun of guys who 'buy-and-wheel', not 'build-and-wheel'. I believe in building your own truck. So, even though I paid this guy a while ago, and I've known I was getting it, I've not told anyone....mostly it's a pride thing. Anyway, this thing has been sitting at the shippers terminal near San Fran for nearly a month (since Apr 30), and it was finally picked up yesterday. The driver called me today and said he was in Los Angeles at the moment, and should be to my house on Sat, 28th. I can't wait!! Here it is getting loaded up on the flatbed yesterday (sweet rig, too....be a nice tow rig for weekend events :thumb: )

Here's some more pics, that I've been sent throughout the buying process.

Here're the specs as I know 'em:

Crate 350, with Edelbrock carb
SM465
203/205 triple stick'd
D60, open/14b, detroit, 4.56's
Hydro assist
high steering
4 linked front, 3 linked/ 1/4 elliptic in the rear
Sway-away coilovers up front, RS9012's rear
3" body lift
108" wheelbase
grooved 44" TSL's on 15" beadlocks
Warn winch w/ remote on front
Duralined interior
S-10 bucket seats

And probably some other interesting stuff I'm forgetting about. Now, I know I said I'm not proud of having a 'bought' truck, and not a 'built' truck. I plan to make this truck mine. I think the wheelbase is too short, and the truck is too tall. I plan on adding 10" to the rear, and maybe 2" up front. I will go to 42" Iroks on re-centered H1's. I will lower the center of gravity. The flatbed/tool boxes will be removed, making way for a full tube bed. The gas tank, radiator, batteries, extra storage, air tank, cooler, etc will be relocated to the rear. It will eventually get exo'd. And TBI will be swapped in. If all goes well, I will narrow the front end.

I will make this truck mine, and be proud to say it I built it the way I wanted it.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Wow!

That thing sure is something! I dont think its a bad thing. Sounds like you are going to change it quite a bit and somebody else has already done a lot of the hard stuff.

Looks like it has a hell of a body lift. :mrgreen:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
that thing looks pretty capable! can't wait to see it with the wheelbase stretching and lowering! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. It's got a 3" body lift. That'll come out, and maybe put an 1" in it's place, it not go back to stock - it'll depend on how the 42" Iroks work out.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll personalize it, and make it mine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Dam nice Rig Bought or not Trust me (And i think AJ will Agree) working 10 and 11 hour days for a month strait SUCKS better just to buy. . .

what you going to do with the Flat Bed and boxes?

·
Registered
550 Posts
That rig looks awsome........Don't count on getting it the 28th cuz that driver is going to stop in Moab for sure. doah

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
No kidding let me see Moab Farmington New Mexico Disney Oklahoma if I was the drive my truck would "break down" in all those places! Oh buy the way no shame in buying whats already built it is usaully a better deal than building it yourself :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
str8six4me said:
what you going to do with the Flat Bed and boxes?

Don't know yet.... I don't like it, though, and I know I want it gone. Either I'll see if some friends here local might be able to use it (probably stretch and lengthen it as a flatbed for a one ton, or - hell, I dunno. Worst comes to worst, I'll just scrap it. It's definitely not a 'shipping' item.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
str8six4me said:
Dam nice Rig Bought or not Trust me (And i think AJ will Agree) working 10 and 11 hour days for a month strait SUCKS
depends on wether you are gettin paid for it, or Paying for it!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
kewl

that is sooooo kewl!!!! :thumb:

sure wish you were closer so we wheel with ya! :banghead:

Plus i might get some parts from ya! broncoman (Scott), used to live in Florida, says there are awesome places to play down there.

have fun!! :thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think there'll be a trip up to ya'lls neck of the woods sometime in the future, so I can see my boy Eric (rockpunk). I'd definitely have to bring the truck along, 'cause I've seen what ya'll wheel up there, and I like it. :beer:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
blazinzuk said:
the way that front end is cut was cool so I duplicated it on my blazer today, I like it!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

You cut your fenders just like that today??? Post up pics. Show us!!!! PROVE IT!!! :finger:

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
I saw the front of erics rig! and if my phone hadn't pooped the bed, i would post pictures!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still waitin' on pics, Eric!!! Let's see 'em! :finger:

It showed up this morning.... Driver called me 'bout 7:10 this morning, I met him out in town, he followed me to my house. I took it out for a little spin, and OMFG!!!!! This thing has death wobble from HELL!! Anything above 20mph, and it wants to throw me in the ditch and toss every nut and bolt off it.

WTF????

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gripguru said:
just an alignment problem, should be able to use shorter shackles on the front to fix it.

Uhh.... What shackles? :?

So, if it is an alignment issue, as you say, how do you address aligning a vehicle with hydro assist??? Same as you would any other unaltered vehicle??

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
WOBBLE

Is the wobble felt throught the steering? or is it just the whole truck!!! also take her up to 30 mph, then shift into neutral, does it go away?.... these things and others might help narrow it down. could be drivelines? could it be tires?,,,or is it too strong for that. good luck!!!!!! :thumb:

still looks pimpin'!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: WOBBLE

cannoncrawler said:
Is the wobble felt throught the steering? or is it just the whole truck!!! also take her up to 30 mph, then shift into neutral, does it go away?.... these things and others might help narrow it down. could be drivelines? could it be tires?,,,or is it too strong for that. good luck!!!!!! :thumb:

It shakes the steering wheel some kinda awful. And, I watch the entire front end of the truck wobble like a bouy caught in a storm. There is no 'going faster', because it'll only get worse. It won't stop until the truck does - I have to practically stand on the brakes to get it to stop quickly so I don't lose control of it. I kept it out on the road for about 10 minutes, and it was a very scary 10 minutes. It could very well be the tires - I mean, they are 44's. Drivelines? Highly doubt it.

But it is a very strong, very violent wobble....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts