Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My third wagon made its first baby steps today. Moved under its own power :thumb: Brakes are real squishy, no seats, clutch needs some adjusting, no lights or signals, no gauges, no windshield wiper motor or connections. It has an unknown D44 full floating rear axle that MAY even have a traction device? Dana 27 front axle that doesn't even have the hubs installed right now, and I'm pretty sure the front and rear are different gear ratios:rotfl: It does have the ashtrays:smokin: (although I don't smoke)

None of that matters cause I was able to pull it out of my garage and take a loop around the cul-de-sac :drive: :drive:

Specs: 63 Willy's Wagon, Chevy 327 mated to a stock T-whatever tranny and dana 18 t-case. Has a quadrajet 4bbl, that runs great (once I actually get it started).

Plans: 700R4 Auto tranny, NP205 T-case, D44 front, probably D44 rear just depends on what I can do for cheap, I may go with a 14bolt or D60. It'll get air conditioning, comfy seats, decent music, and an air freshener:rotfl:

This is going to be a long term project, so I',m just happy to get it moving under it's own power for now. Enough typing, on to the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
last pics. Gotta go to work now:lame:

Attachments

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
brings back memories!!! Grew up with a few of these, was our school bus! '49 I believe!

Great to see that you are keeping it alive!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Rudezuk said:
Nice Joe, glad to see that you moved it out of the garage..........Now get started on that CJ :D
I can't start on the cj yet. I stole the motor that's in the red/orange wagon (#3) out of another wagon (#2) that's still in the garage:darn: :darn: But don't worry. Soon I'll be able to pull still yet another wagon (#1) into the garage, pull the drivetrain out of it to swap into the derelict in the garage (#2). Then I can re-install the original drivetrain back in #1, sell #2, and spend the proceeds on parts for #1, #3, and my cj:thumb:

Just so you dont worry. I am in the process of selling a couple of my under-utilized organs to fund the rest of my steering conversion on my cj, so by the time my steering arms arrive I will have the cash in hand for the rest of the parts :deal:

And just for you pervs out there this is not a contest to see who can guess which low mileage organs I have to sell to fund my hobbies :shocked:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot wagon A, which was the catalyst for my home remodel:eek: I have to trailer it to Boise from Emmett so I can cut some patches out of it, salvage what I can and then scrap it. Shoot some of the fenders didn't even get all the paint burned off, so they should still be good:rotfl:

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Owyhee Rock Man said:
I'll bet with that Chebby V-8 that 'ol girl will haul !:thumb:
I'm sure it will haul, stopping is what has me worried now. I have to do the old triple pump to slow her down. This results in severe driver leakage in just my driveway:shocked:

Anyway's since I have all your attention I need a bit of help. The front axle on this thing is shot. Missing the locking hubs, bent tie rod, and an easy-out busted off in one of the brake bleeder screws :darn: Rather than drop any money into this axle at all I just wanna swap in a better one. I want to make this into a tow rig, so a slightly wider stance wouldn't hurt at all. But I don't want it to be too wide. It looks like the stock width is about 60-62" WMS to WMS. I am probably going to run about 33"s, and want disc brakes.

So what axles fit this bill without breaking the bank? I am thinking D44, but in all reality a D30 would probably be fine. Let me know what you guys think, and if you know where I can find a screaming deal on what I need.

I

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is my dad's '49 with full width axles from a 74 IH travelall and 33s. Personally, I think it would look better with some scout or waggy axles. The tires stick out too far in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's the WMS measurement on waggy axles? I may have a line on a free one.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been puttering away at the wagon and made some more progress over the last couple weeks.

As of today I have:
Swapped front axle from another wagon. Found two of the four steering arm studs sheared:shocked: I think I 'll stay with itty bitty tires until I swap the axle out for real.

Bled the brakes (with the help of my 8yr old nephew)

Worked on wiring. Now have working turn signal, brake lights, even headlights.:thumb:

Installed seats.

Spliced split fuel line.

To get it driveable I'll have to complete a few little details, such as:

Modify clutch linkage

Tear out rest of rotten interior

Baling wire up the exhaust:lame:

Install seat belts

Of course I have a dozen other things to do at the same time like repair my POS trailer, but I am hoping to register this thing this week:thumb: It's getting closer. Of course once I get it driveable I'll start looking for parts for the next stage in its build to be a tow rig:eek:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got her to the point where I almost comfortable driving it. Took her down to the DMV and got licensed, even hit the freeway on the way back home. 65mph handles just fine. I didn't try much more than that due to the rotten tires on the back.

The throwout bearing makes funny noises, and it takes a little grinding to get into first or reverse:thumb: Can't even fill the tank all the way due to a cracked and leaking filler hose (Schmucks only sells them in 4ft sections at 65bux a section:lame: ).

Still have a million things to do, such as hooking up temp, and fuel gauges. But say hello to my new daily driver:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll check NAPA this weekend for filler hose. I kinda figured they would have it. I just didn't have time to check them out the other day.

Before I do that I have to fix a little issue that sprung up just past the guard shack going into work. It seems the 27spline D44 full floating axle has had a rough life before I got it. The shaft spun in the drive flange and kind of left me stranded. Only had to walk about 1/2 mile into work, but then I had to take off an hour to tow it home.

So if anyone has a couple D44 27 spline axle shafts and drive flanges they gotta give me speak up. Otherwise it will be time for some ghetto fabbin:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My ghetto fab didn't quite work out like I hoped. My little Millermatic 135 just doesn't have the heat to get good penetration in an axleshaft. Even with a torch pre-heat my weld gave out the first time I tried to hammer down on the accelerator:darn:

Fortunately Planet4x4 came to the rescue and I was able to score a GM 10bolt for the amazing price of free, with tires even:thumb: (Much thanks again to Blazin'83). It only took a little fab work to build new spring pads, and a quick trip to Jim's to get a u-joint to match the two different sized yokes on my d-shaft and the 10blt.

The tires stick out about 3" or more on each side, but I have been able to drive it around for the last couple weeks. Even took it on the freeway yesterday to clock the speedo. At 49mph on the speedo it took 52secs to run 1 mile. That equates to 69mph, or a 40% difference in what the speedo reads to what I am actually driving:rotfl:

The brakes on the new axle stop me much better than the old D44 did. I even made it to NAPA for a fuel filler hose. Man I get a kick out of driving old beaters around:drive:

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Time for a quick update. A couple months ago the clutch exploded, rather than just throw in another sacrifical clutch I decided to swap in an auto tranny :idea: As of today the Tow Wagon is running a 700R4/NP208 behind the 327 (Thanks Lumpdog). I have high hopes for this drivetrain. I think it is going to cruise much better now:thumb: No strange throwout bearing noises, no grinding of 43yr old transmissions, it's gonna be cool.

I also scored a front D44 from a 78 wagoneer, disk brakes and factory crossover steering. Along with all the steering parts except the PS pump. I'm going to use the waggy steering column which will give me tilt, but I'm going to try to stick with the original steering wheel just for fun. I also have the power brake booster, and master cylinder from the waggy. This will be added to give me mo-betta stopping power. I'll use the stock waggy springs all the way around, and flip the front spring to move the axle forward and away from the fenders.

Now I have a dilemma. I'm going with the waggy 44 which is 6lug. I have two D60 rear axles here which of course are 8lug, and one of them has a limited slip installed. Do I convert the 44 to 8lug, or try and swap a D60 for a gm 12bolt?

The 12bolt would probable hold up just fine for what I am going to tow, but the thought of 3/4ton axles is pretty tempting too. All I anticipate towing is my cj5 on a car hauler, and a four horse trailer. So what do you guys think, D60, or 12bolt for the Tow Wagon?:popcorn:And if you convince me that I want a 12bolt, who is willing to swap me for a D60:deal:

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Just swap it out to 8 lug, while your at it, use flat top knuckles, and chevy 3/4 ton brake system. I use calipers from mid 80's heavy 3/4 ton that have a bigger piston.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I would suggest swapping the front to 8 lug as well, but keep in mind the Wagoneer axle will be a little narrower than the D60. If you decide to go with a 12 bolt, I know Chris has one with a set of 4.56 gears, an Eaton limited slip and a pretty stout cover.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts