Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it?

I mean for the most of us that dont compete? Why not a set of good leaves with a good traction bar?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
i'm curious about this too... I'm sure Shane will put in his bit, but I would like a good sound argument on this one..

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I think links front and rear is worth more than just links in the back. With links on one end you can tune the suspension somewhat but with links on both ends you can make your truck do things a certain way. Of course in order to do this you must know what you are doing when designing. Or be willing to do it 3 or 4 times. In fact I think Links on the front are worth more than in the back because it makes the axle path more certain. Well mabey not more certain but certainly smaller, at least in my case. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes...If you think about it, leafs are a crude setup to locate your axle. You have flexable spring steel with bushings at both ends, then a trac bar which has to keep everything in place, loaded unloaded, under power, etc. Once you start running offset springs to gain wheelbase, this induces other problems such as the pinion angle changes dramatically as the spring droops. The positive axle locating of a good link setup with proper gometry will climb better, eliminate wheel hop, and keep pinion angles more consistant through the range of travel. And since the spring/shock assy with a link susp, only job is suspension, there will be no more damaged springs.

That being said, if you have leafs now, and your not damaging them, and it works for, leave it alone. As simple as leaves are, they do work(it's amazing they work as well as they do...) So, I guess what I'm sayin is yes, a link setup is worth it....should you run out and tear your leafs off your rig and start the link project...that's up to you.... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm still waiting to see a place where I can't go with my leaf setup. I have come to the realization that I only upgrade when the setup I have now deems it self unworth to what level of wheeling I have progressed too. It really seems to chap peoples ass when a rig with leaf springs out performs the rig with coils. Upgrade when you need it not cause the jones did. my .02 :beer:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It's all about how far your willing to go. A good leaf spring set up will work great and last a long time. The big limiting factor is adjustabilty, with links and coilovers you can 'tune' the car. Like everything it's all about the money!! Leafs will get you pretty far, just look at Chris Durham winning the ARCA series on a leaf under set-up front and rear. So is it worth it ? Only if you want it to be.

Pepper

·
Registered
695 Posts
I really like the control factor that you can get with a coil suspension. That is why I rock the good old Idependant Front Suspension WITH the coils. It is great I have alot of control escpecailly with the Control arm setup that I can running. Right now I have it set up to clear my 35's with only 2" of body lift and 2" of suspension lift. And with this I can still get a massive 2 to 3 inches of up travel and about 2" of down travel. It is a very high quality set up and the only thing that I could see swapping it out for would be a plain old leaf set up SAS(Straight Axle Swap)!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
IFS suspension.....Isnt rock solid in lifted form.....

IFS is for that nice cushy street pounder ride...

It sucks rock crawling :finger:

Its like wheeling a stock zuk suspension..............No wait, zuk would be better :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
5" total travel??
man... that's gotta bite....what are you waiting on for your SAS? just an axle?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Actually no, the axle is the only thing that I have. But now I have changed my mind and a D44 is too small I think. If it is not too small, the one I have is too narrow and I want to go full width front and rear. The main thing that I am waiting on is the 10-12 grand that it will take to do it all right the way I want the first time. And rather than just chopping it and letting it sit and forcing myself to start it, I just keep abusing the IFS, which 5" of travel may be giving it too much!!!!! So when the IFS breaks really bad then I will think about the SAS, but for now, I have other things that need my money. But if anyone knows where a full width HP D44 with a matching 9" is or a drivers side drop D60 with a D60 or 14Bolt for the rear is CHEAP let me know. With a house and a garage I will at least have a place to keep it and work on it little by little......

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks man, too bad he is clear in New York...... I think I should be able to find something around here for the same price after shipping is added to that....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts