Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is fairly wild and looks like Boise is going to be a test area for this!!!!!

AMPERION AND IDACOMM LAUNCH BROADBAND OVER POWERLINE(BPL)PILOT IN BOISE,IDAHO

Andover, MA and Boise, ID - January 6, 2004 - Amperion Inc. and IDACOMM today announced the successful deployment of the Amperion Connect™ solution in Boise as part of IDACOMM’S growing broadband-over-power-line (BPL) pilot project. IDACOMM, a subsidiary of IDACORP (NYSE: IDA), has targeted up to 100 residences and businesses with high-speed wireless Internet access, by establishing overhead network segments in several Boise locations that pass, or will establish access to, approximately 1,000 homes. The BPL pilot is being conducted in the service area of fellow IDACORP subsidiary and regulated electric utility Idaho Power Co. IDACOMM is testing a variety of applications that integrate utility and broadband technologies.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I wonder how they get the signal through the transformer? There must be an interface box for it. There is plenty of bandwidth on the power line. The power only takes up 60 Hertz spot. I guess the 60 Hertz would act as the base frequency or something.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
wonder how well that would work? wonder if the speed is greater than phone line DSL and what the range is?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is supposed to be quit a bit faster and much cheaper!!!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a buddy at the NSA who told me that they could hack you through the power supply and could monitor your computer with out a warant by puttting a sensor on the power line and reading the feedback or something. I called a BS, but I guess he was right....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts