Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 Liberty that is mildly modified, nothing severe. While wheeling I dropped of a 2' ledge, I did not here an impact or anything but since then I have had a vibration, it starts about 60mph, at 80mph it gets bad and then on deceleration (Off the gas & brake) it is bad from about 70 down to 65. The vibration is not in the wheel, it will track straight at 80 while the vibration is bad. I checked everything, mounting points, joints, rotated the tires, etc. and found nothing wrong so I have taken it to three shops including the dealer :darn: and no one can find anything other then the rear driveshaft was slightly off balance. I am new to wheeling so I figure I am missing something, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How "slightly off balance" is your d-shaft? Did you replace or repair it? At 80mph I could see a "slight off balance being a bad thing. Did you check U-joints? Did you check the front driveshaft also? (not sure if it spins all the time on a liberty or not.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My driveshaft is .035 out of balance and it vibrates like crazy at highway speeds. I would look into that again. .035 is the same as a spark plug gap so it doesn't take much.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Only thing is driveshaft balance isn't measured like your thinking.

They spin it on a lathe that has ends that are able to move. The movement is "recorded" on a dial guage and that's where the 0.035 comes from. 0.03-0.05 is about the max that is acceptable I believe. Some places go for 0.00

Not an expert, just spent a few afternoons at 6 States in Anchorage when a buddy worked there and learned a bit.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I know how they do it Nate. My shaft has a .035 wiggle so to speak. Tim told me no more than about .020 is the max you want. Anything over that you usually will start to feel a vibration. The closest we could get mine was .035 without acutally placing weight on the shaft for balancing.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Possibly wheel bearings or your unit bearings in front. It sounds like a driveshaft though. You could have possibly bent your yoke on your diff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And lets not rule out a bent rear drive axel.. I see those bent quit often in accidents. put the whole thing up on hack stands (or on a hoist) and put it in gear and watch the tires.. If one of them has a wobble to it switch the 2 tires on that axel. If the wobble moves it is a bent rim, if not it is an axel shaft.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am it wits end. I had the shaft balanced a second time, they found it off a little and balanced it. The vibration got......... different but not 100% better but they say it is to factory specs now. I hate takign things to the dealer but it seems like my only choice now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Keith, I will bring it in to you as soon as I return home from the trip I am on. Thanks for the help:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts