Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you owned a private rock playground, how would you manage it?
Issues like rules, safety, and things like who gets to play and who doesn't.
This would be strictly not for proffet$$ thing. We live in a presumptuous world and people like to do stupid things like invite themselfs, sue McDonald for hot coffee, etc. How do tell people NO without being an ass :shocked:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Be an ass! If they don't like it that's to fawkin bad! You have to protect the things you have worked for. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have seen quite a few motocross riding areas like this. They are for profit, but you could only charge enough to certain individuals who buy a "key" and it remains locked. Then those people have signed a liability waiver of some sort. You have control of who plays and you can make the determination of who is responsible enough. It's cool you want to allow it to many people. Hats off to you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd keep a pretty simple rule/waiver on hand.

If you act like a stupid ass or bother me, you are therein agreeing that you are releasing ownership of your vehicle(s) to me and agree to be immediately removed from the park in a non friendly manner.

lol, how many people do you think would sign that waiver?

·
Registered
695 Posts
The first thing you should do is just make sure not to let any toyota owners out there, the jeep guys don't like them if they have the same love for their toyotas as the jeep guys do for their jeeps..... that is unless I haven't got the right story after almost a full year.....who knows and honestly who fricken cares anymore. Lets wheel, and hats off to you Andrew, so how is the new buggy coming along? Ohh and I should sue you for letting me bend my skidplate out there!!!!

But I do like the key idea, only people with a key can get in and have to sign something saying that they are not going to let anyone else in with their key, except maybe family..ie wife and kids.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Keep it low key and keep it invite only.

Its like any cool thing you might have at your house, like a nice movie room or a private shooting range or something. Since access is through your backyard I sure would not give out any keys or anything.

If people get ticked off or accuse you of being an "elitist" for not opening it up to everybody and their dog, to hell with them. Its not like its a trail on public land that you are keeping quite about. Its your backyard.

I guess you could set "open" times if you wanted. Like 10 am to 5pm on Saturday, limit the amount of rigs or something. If you did that, you should put a "donation" cup out there. What you are building is going to be great and should be worth it.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is it's not an issue yet...... But once I spray out the thing with shot creet, have a few big drops that'll kill you with only a lap belt, O and make the significant othershate me cus it cost a grand in broken parts every time you come out:thumb: :beer:

I 've had one instance were a person assumed its like a public park. I was so shocked at the attude, " Its like hey I'm going out of town but go ahead and have a keger :beer: at my house":rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The buggy is coming along fine. I looks more like a mess of tube than a pile of tube.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The best way to do a high liability sport is to create a club where everyone is a member. Then only members are allowed in. If it is a club the membership is responsible and by becoming a member you accept your liability. This is how a lot of gun clubs operate. Personally, if it was my land I probably wouldn't let others wheel there. Because we all know a good lawyer will find a way to screw you out of everything you own if something bad happened. It isn't too hard to find neglegence these days, why take a risk?

·
Registered
695 Posts
From what I have heard the buggy is going to be badass man, now your own little testing grounds. I agree with Matt also, low key, it is your backyard and you do have to drive right through your place to get into it. The thing is, is that anyone that feels o.k. about wheeling on your private playland should understand you and know where you are coming from if you speak up and tell them no. It is respect afterall.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Not for profit can still mean collecting a fee. There will be maintenance and future improvement requirements and how else would you keep it going?

Require:
Membership like Eric said.
Waiver to let them sign thier own life away and not yours
Pay to play requirements.

Optional:
Invite only for even those included in the requirements.
Hours of operation so that you are not inconvenienced.

Prep work up front like you are doing will keep you ahead of the game and in the long run require far less work. You may call Bill Taylor or Shane Yost to ask them ideas as well. Both have created rock gardens and Bill has even hosted a number of events at his house.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'll second that! It's looking great. Combine that rig with your own private rock garden and that just equals LOTS O' FUN.

What transfer case do you have sitting in the buggy? Also, who builds the front axle housing? That looks nice too.

Keep up the good work. It was good to meet you on the Rock Trail in Rexburg.

P.S.

Shoot me an p.m. and let me know what it would cost to powdercoat 4 wheels 15x8. Thanks!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matts' going to do a writeup on the build, so I'm not going to get into too much:darn: :thumb: But keep checking the sight over the next couple of months. All the kickass details will unfold:popcorn:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts