Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well John kept breaking D44 housings and bending leaf springs.....So I helped him out with his issue :D

I Installed a Semi Float D60, 35 spline Chromo shafts and a full spool. 4 linked the rear with coil springs.
Stretched the wheelbase out to ~102" while we were at it too.

The front we put in some new RE springs and a new custom drag link with 1 ton TRE's.

The links for the rear suspension are made from 1.75" .250 DOM tubing, and are almost perfectly paralell to the ground. The rear suspension is totally neutral, no squat and no lift. I made all of the coil buckets from scratch, and the coils are captured top and bottom.

Here are a few pics the John sent to me, he can chime in with his thoughts.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have to say a big "Thank You" to Shane and Todd and HBRK.
As he said, I was having problems with breaking axle housings, two of them. I also broke a Dana 44 spool. Maybe I am hard on equipment???

Finally decided to pony up and get it fixed. At first, I was going to go with the Dana 60 and keep the leafs due to cost. After discussing it at length with Shane, I finally decided it might take longer but would be worth it to go with a 4 link.

Now, after trying it out, I can say this is some of the best money I ever spent on my Jeep!! The quality of the parts used and the fabrication itself is the best you can get! In fact, now the rear suspension is the best looking part on the Jeep. To bad it is difficult to see in the photos!

Man, does it work! Jake and I went out twice this week. We did most of the "trails" in the Owyhees with ease! It has always done well out there but now I am able to do some things that were very difficult and sometimes impossible before. I went back to the area where I worked and worked and dug and spun before (broke the Dana 44 spool once and broke a Dana 44 axle housing another time) and we walked right up it! And this was with my 16 year old son Jake driving!! His first time up it and he may be the youngest to ever drive up it!

Of course a Jeep is never "finished" now I need Ram Assist Steering, and then time to "link" the front and maybe coil over shocks in the rear.

I hope no one else has Shane do this 4 link, I will loose my "edge" if he does. lol But if you guys want to go rock crawling and need some "improvements" that are "custom fabbed" go see Shane and Todd!
:goodjob:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Nice! What springs did you use for the rear? I've been wanting to do this maybe this winter.

Looks great. :drive:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
374 Posts
14" 200lb spring rate HAL designed for coil over shocks, but are working great in this configuration with the Rancho 9000 shocks.

Contact Shane, he can hook you up with some!

·
Registered
379 Posts
excellent work as usual....:drive:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Damn it John now you are going to force me to tear mine down and start over. I was only able to keep up with you before since you were worried about pieces and parts flying out from under that Jeep.:darn:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Holy Sh$%#T, that rocks for a daily driver.

Or maybe I am rock virgin..................

·
Registered
137 Posts
A lot of things climb and run better with those 40 inch tires you got....try that stuff on 34-35's!!!!! ha ha ha

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well.....as you remember, I started with 31's!! Then 35's, now 40's!! It sure helps, got to make up for the dana 60 now....also, tried some of the same stuff with the same tires before Shane did the 4 link, no comparison. That's was when I started breaking stuff!! Now, with the dana 60 and the 4 link, just waiting to see what will break next! You should see what Tony's does!! 42's, links, coil overs!!! Wonder how he would do on 31's? ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts