Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been kicking around the idea for a while, and I think this winter i'm going to go for it. As much fun as it is cutting and hacking on whats left of my truck body I think it's about time for major improvements.

I'm going to keep the frame and drivetrain, and buggy the rest of the truck. I'm not going for a fance comp rig but something with 4 seats and some storage that I don't have to worry about tearing up. I've got a couple ideas but nothing firm.

So heres a few questions for all of you out there on the internet.
1. Does anybody have any pictures of this being done, or any designs they feel would work good.
2. Is this a feasable project for a couple people with a bender and a welder? I have access to both but limited knowledge of both as well. I can of course provide beer :thumb:
3. Failing in that idea, about how much shopwise would it cost to get a buggy body mounted up to my frame?

Thanks for the help, maybe this time next year i'll have a nice looking rig :smokin:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
somebody did that on Peckham road west of Wilder, lookibng at a rental that away this week, so will snap a pic for you, so you have an idea.
My fab skills are below rudimentary, so my opinion might not count as much, but I would have to say it is quite doable for a guy or two with a bender and a welder.n Judging from what theirs looks like, and it looks good at that.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Have you checked out my thread where I did mine?

Quite a bit of that was done in my garage with a Harbor freight bender. We did do the back of the cage with a nice hydraulic tube bender but it could have been done with the cheapo.

I did leave the floor and most of the firewall. I did this so I would not have to mess with mounting the pedals and the steering and stuff like that. I still have room to mount a back seat and extend the roof for the kids.

I'm way happy I did it. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Dave what year is your truck? If it's a 76 or 77 I'd be interested in your axles if you want to get rid of them (to replace with 1 ton stuff)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's a 78 and if I had 1 ton stuff to swap to i'd be interested in selling them. However I don't so the drivetrain is going to have to stay as is for a while. I'll keep you in mind though

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah 78 has the 4 piece tube D44, which won't work for me.

I was figuring buggy = big tires... 1/2 ton axles = snap, crackle, pop.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The general plan is to keep mydrivetrain as is, because it works fairly well. I'll throw down on a new body after moab, as a matter of fact i'll probably start pulling the thing apart the weekend after I get back. Hopefully I'll get the body finished by early to mid spring, and i'll run it as is for a while. Then depending on how finances are either next winter or the winter afterwards i'm going to try to score some better axles and tires.

I found some pictures of what the general idea is. I even drew up something on paint but thats not getting shared cuz I suck at paint :flipoff:

The first is a toyota buggy half frame, the second is dan dibbles buggy and the third is one I found on fullsizebronco.com. I'm going to get something figued out between the three of them and then come november 1st the construction begins :thumb:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i would think that you would just keep trimming and keep the "THING" theme....its much more original. just mod the suspension a bit more (like those pimpin springs and arms that rob has). and for christ sakes, buy some bigger, meaner tires!!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
x2 about the tires... hell my daily driver has better tires :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well whoever wants to givbe me a better set of tires they are more than welcome to. Until then these are what I have and are what i'm going to run.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
no dave....to get your rig better you will have to spend your hard earned money just like the rest of us. and ya better hurry cuz you might end up looking at my rusty turd from the bottom of the hill. :rotfl: :beer:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
like you could even keep your motor running that long :smokin:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
heheheh...so you think. i have been doing some special ops reccon and may have found the SFSW (surface to ford secret weapon). hahahahahhaaa!:flame: :flipoff:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Boat side that beast, add some tube for stucture, ditch the body lift and mounts and bolt what's left of the cab solid to the frame. Then you get lower center of gravity, more frame rigidity, and roll over protection.:thumb:

Then it would still be the "thing" and still look like the superdave style! Anyways, since you wouldn't let me love tap your hood with my chevy, you have to keep the hood intact!:deal:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've actually been kicking around this idea for a while. The 2 seat truggy isn't bad but I feel like i'm starting to run into limitations with it, 1 being that I miss having that 3rd seat option.

Also, the cab is pretty well trashed. While I don't mind the exterior dents and scrapes, theres a lot of rust in some fairly critical areas. I just don't think it's worth modifying. Plus, most of my modification plans for it would include boatsiding it and cutting the roof off, so i'm not too far off from having a buggy anyways.

The more I work out the plans the better an idea this seems. I'll build a more solid enclosure for the propane tanks, build some solid storage for my tools, add room for another rider, Have a narrower rig, have a sturdier rig, and have something that doesn't look like a collection of random parts flying in close formation.

Moab is the last run for this with the body it has now so i'm going to try and do some damage to it then :thumb: Afterwards it's game on

1 - 20 of 27 Posts