Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe that I just bought. Well anyway it has 315/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Radials on it. I like the tires but the wheels have to go. They are still stock and when I turn it rubs on the frame and sway bar. I also have some pretty wide fender flares on the truck so haveing the stock rims that sit in it looks real funny. I have never purchased rims before and I am kinda clueless on what to do get size wise. I'm thinking a ten inch wide rim but I'm not sure of an offset. I know I want the tires to stick out a good couple of inches out to keep it off the body and make the fender flares look a little better with the truck. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
8 would be better IMO... least that's what I run on my truck with the same size tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm more worried about the offset of the wheels. Why did you go with a 8 inch wide rim. I'm just confused about the whole thing

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
How much lift you have? Im betting 315's wont fit with 10 wide wheels, more than likely you will end up crunching the fender and flares.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Run an 16x 8inch wheel with 4inches of backspacing. This will be a good setup for you. When we say a 8inch wheel we are talking about the inside width.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any lift but I have plenty of room around. Thanks for the help. I think 4 inches sounds like it will be enough.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You are going to have a tough time finding a wheel meeting those specs without using a hub centric centering ring. Most of the wheels designed for the late model Chevys are 5" backspacing. Meaning the rim appears shallow and flat because most of the rim is on the inside. I agree with Lehis specs on the rim, just be prepare that you may not like the choices available if there are any at all.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Could always use a wheel spacer if the stockers are wide enough.

I had to change the wheels on my truck cause the stockers were only 6.5" wide with a 12.5" tire.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Could always use a wheel spacer if the stockers are wide enough.

I had to change the wheels on my truck cause the stockers were only 6.5" wide with a 12.5" tire.
Spacers are kind of tricky on the new Chevys because of them being hubcentric. They can be done but they need to be machined to fit the hub snuggly.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
When did Chevy become hub centric? I thought it was only Toyota that did that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts