Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea the header sais it all, friday on the way home from work, cruizing along minding my business, obeying all the laws, heading down lincoln road, wouldn't you know it, here comes a statie. sure enough, he gets past me and on comes the brake lights and he flips around............

he comes to the door, your tires stick out to far, "really" most people modifying their vehicles like this check out the laws first before they do it, "really, then why did the trooper that gave me a speeding ticket last month say nothing about it??????" I'll let you go with a warning, but if I see it on the road like this again I'll ticket you.

I have a real problem with "authority figures" and need to vent, so I'm done, but the problem still needs to be adressed.

first idea

6" fiberglass fender, problem being, you can see how far the rear tire doen't stick out from the body on this jeep, I need to be a couple of inches wider in the back than I now am, and this fender is not going to quite get me there. may be if I do the fenders and some tubes like I now have just along the edge of the fender lip to make it a little wider, that will surfice. leaving the rear to deal with another day. don't know what to do there.

any suggestions?

is there a permit I can pay for so they have their money and I can play too?

if it were an old hot rod, I could get away with it on dry road/fair weather.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You may feel violated, but at least you weren't. He didn't have you out spread eagle on the hood of the patrol car. :bowdown:

I thought that the tire had to stick out more than an inch. That looks ok to me, or is it the angle. I can't believe that one. Maybe when he saw it after truning around he realized he made a mistake. :idea: He must not have had his doughnuts that day.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats not my jeep, just the front fender I'm thinking about getting.
my jeep if the pic works

the tires do stick out some, but I had no problems in utah where they are rather picky to put it nicely

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Idaho Code 49-949 Article C says this:

Behind all wheels of every motor vehicle other than trucks, buses, semitrailers, or trailers, the fenders or covers shall extend in full width from a point above and forward of the center of the tire over and to the rear of the wheel to a point that is not more than twenty (20) inches above the surface of the highway, unless the bumper is a factory built bumper fastened directly to the frame of the vehicle pursuant to factory
installation requirements.

Any decent officer will usually tell you that as long as you have flares or flaps, they don't care. But, state law says you must have both.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It could be worse. The officer could have cited you for not having flaps, tires exceeding the fender well, and then toss a not wearing a seatbelt on to it to because you have non DOT approved harnesses on. Been there done that and paid the fines!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do run flaps on the road, when I saw the break lights I put the seat belt on,

he did have to add the lack of front license plate though, so I zip tied it to the front of the winch.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Funny, I got stopped coming back from McCall today for no plate, didn't get busted for that but did get me for not having the current proof of insurance (it was at home in the envalope).

I've never been bugged about the wide tires, and with the TTB that Ford has they do stick out in the front.

Sucks to hear that though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
yeah, screw them for trying to do their job :rolleyes:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn cops
thedave said:
yeah, screw them for trying to do their job :rolleyes:
:whine: what they said.

I was going to be a cop once, but in the oral board they asked me why I wanted to be one, I quickly replied "so I can get paid to screw with people":p and that was the end of that.....

anyone know where I can find some wheels with around 6.5" backspacing and only say 8" wide, 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
i knew you were a good guy, Jared! lol

and brent......good to wheel with ya! nice jeep and good skillz ya got!

·
Registered
257 Posts
You know why he flipped around don't you?

The SoCal SuperTrucks sticker.

They have to keep the newbies on their toes and weed out the real assclowns...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
That truck is showing the flares and quarter panels. The white one was pulled over. ie, no Cali stickers

·
Registered
346 Posts
Those fenders on the green XJ look awful. You'd need a 15" wide tire just to make them look semi normal, and you know XJs don't like anything wider then a 12.5. Leave the Poe Poes alone. They have a right to get bored and try to find something to do. :rotfl: At least no ticket was involved.:thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I never had any trouble in my cherokee, I spent most the time with the front flares off because they rattled a little after we chopped the fenders up.

Sometimes cops just get bored and pull people over for little reason.

They say it's to "check for drunk drivers and other warrants" but it's just so they can get there thumb out of there rectum, it gets sore after so long.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts