Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pull my box off and thought that this would be a good time to drill and tap for hydro assist if anyone could post a clear pic of where to drill or offer some do's and don'ts I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I sell a snap in end cap that is drilled and tapped, and I have instructions on the other port for the box. I also have a whole hydro kit to include lines, ram and mounting tabs.

Let me know if this will help out.

Thanks
shane

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Go over to Colorado K5 Joe, they have all the stuff you will ever need to know if you can't find it on there let me know, I think I have most of it bookmarked. West Texas off road I think still has the instructions on doing it also. I have seen the end cap thing Shane speaks off and it is sweet.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RUDEZUK- cap is cool but want to do on the cheap
BLAZINZUK- stop playing with comp and work on blaze
JOSHH- sorry, they show different box types
NATE- link no workee

Thanks for your input, I'll keep looking:thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh yeah, K5 Crawler had some good pics but can't find it anymore:darn:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I can snap a pic this weekend on where mine is tapped kyou could also get in touch with 77fixer he did his own.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine's not a chevy but it may be the same. The pic isn't real wonderful. There is a real small port that goes out through the thin part on the bottom. If you look behind you will see the plug (not in the pic) so you can tell you will hit it or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I can tackle this without much trouble

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah I've thought about putting a small ram on my setup since it would be fairly easy and cheap, but I'm afraid I will break the knuckles off the D30. When I bought my box, it was only $40 to get it tapped, so I went ahead and had it done, so when/if I do hydro assist, it would be already done.

I'll get a picture up on here when I get home. I'm not sure why my webpage isn't working.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nate said:
I'll get a picture up on here when I get home. I'm not sure why my webpage isn't working.
Its cool, looks like the jeep boxes are different anyway:cool:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I did the ******* ram and for 500 I was all done and no hassle. This includes rebuild tap, lines ram everything.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help everyone, was lots easier than I thought, left box on which worked out real good cuz the fluid in the box lubed the bit and the tap and pushed shavings out all in one shot. less than ten bucks to drill, tap and plug :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do the cap on the end like Rudezuk sells.
I have one of these and they are tapped for the 3/8" lines and work great, then all you do it drill and tap the little cap on the top of the box for your other line.
The beauty about doing it this way is you get way more fluid volume to move and the ram will no slow down your steering. I am running a 2" bore ram on my Dana60 and can speed steer like a rally driver and the ram keeps up with no problem.
the other benefit to doing it this way is, some day your steering box is going to wear out and you will have to do all that drilling all over again. It's so much easier to just pop the top and end off and stick them on the new one.
Just my .02

·
Registered
360 Posts
I went with the ******* Ram as well. Had to buy new hoses locally after installing the RR, though, because the hoses they sent were 3.7 miles long. Alright, I'm exaggerating, but they were so long they almost looped to the ground (with about 9" or 10" lift included). Otherwise, I ain't gonna complain about it.

You tapped yourself - if you decide to buy a hydraulic assist that's gonna save you money regardless. On shippin the box to and from the manufacturer, if nothing else. Next - be sure you get a quality ram. Even if it's used and needs to be rebuilt...make sure it's not too light, thin-walled, with wussy attachment points, etc.

Show it off when you have it running, m'kay?

-Mikey-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts