Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checked out the website, it doesn't look like they have either on there.

Is anyone on here running HUMVEE wheels? What does it take to make them street legal? Is there anything you need to do before you can run them?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Boise Tire, Orchardf and Overland had them, Bucks bought a shitload, they them,selves bought a 1000 I believe, for $100 a piece, when I was "wheelin da effie" I was gonna buy a set.
4 of them mounted and balanced for the same as two BFG MudTA"S? I was sold.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
http://www.militarytires.com/

I did not get the sizing until I saw this chart. I could go for the military tread on a tow rig. You should get great mileage out of them. They usually have so much sun bake that they look cheap though IMO. The reason that they are cheap and so many are available is that they are not high in demand.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just checked out the website, it doesn't look like they have either on there.

Is anyone on here running HUMVEE wheels? What does it take to make them street legal? Is there anything you need to do before you can run them?
You need 8 lug axles for starters then it's close on the clearance for the steering. I ended up shortening my axle and then putting 2" spacers on to push the rim out away from the knuckle, this also pulled the hub in farther out of harms way. Even with that it gets some abuse now and then. Other than that the double beadlocks are killer! I built my current setup around the stock hummer rims.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah I don't think I'd trust them on a tow rig in fear of a blow out.

I bet they would do ok on the trails though.. the Wrangler R/Ts. I know for a while they were outfitting the Hummers with TSLs.... so I'd guess the stock tires aren't "all that".

I believe it was the 35" SSR, but I can't remember for sure. A couple guys I know had deployed and they were telling me about it.

http://www.militarytires.com/

I did not get the sizing until I saw this chart. I could go for the military tread on a tow rig. You should get great mileage out of them. They usually have so much sun bake that they look cheap though IMO. The reason that they are cheap and so many are available is that they are not high in demand.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Go down to army surplus in Idaho Falls and say you need to talk to Dana he owns the place and can usually get you what ever you need. They currently have some of the huge ones and some smaller ones that are 38" tall and use 16 " rims but they are narrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts