Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After upgrading my alternator to a 95 amp unit from a newer heavy-duty truck, I found that the older style V-belt setup wasn’t up to the task anymore. The belt would constantly slip and squeal and tightening them up would only temporally fix the problem. Eventually, the belt would break apart about every month or so. An upgrade to the belt system was in order. This article is to upgrade your Alternator V-Belt system for a GM V8.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
95 amp? What was stock then. I have a 136 amp on my Jeep and I thought that was a bit small :thumb:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
63 Amp was stock:lame:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
there is a 160 amp caddy alternator that I'm trying to find out more about that is supposed to bolt right in place on chebby small and big block engines.. If I find out for sure, i'll post up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks for the info, just switched mine with all pulleys from junkyard. Was looking into higher amp alt but these new pulleys were larger on the crankside so the alt spins faster so I'm getting more charge at idle were I needed it.:cool:

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I bought a 180 amp for my TBI 350, it was $130 from alterstart systems in texas, they have just about as big as you want, up to 300amp i think, even have a dual alternator kit. The reason i went with the 180 was, it is the biggest they make with a lifetime warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.