Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

One of the most intimidating things that a progressing Off-Roader does not want to tackle is setting up their own gears. I had always had mechanics do my gear swaps for me for a price. Not knowing anything about the process and the concern of ruining a set had always kept me out of it. The problem with this is finding a good gear person and saving up the money to do it. After two separate trips to Moab and some type of front gear problem on each trip with limited knowledge about what to do, I decided that it was time to dig into it.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Nice write up as always Matt!!:beer:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
does this writeup show you how to prevent your pinion gear from going into the ring gear?:deal: :deal: :popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I understand the oil slinger does not do much when crawling around. It comes more into effect when cruising faster. I decided to remove it as I moslty go slow and I wanted the gear lube to move up there with less restriction.

Yes, it does address the pinion problem. Use a fresh nut when you are done.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I was always told not to reuse the ring gear bolts. Is that just an old wife's tale?

For the oil slinger, I was told that it's there to stop oil from hitting against the pinion seal too forcefully, so it won't cause a leak after a while. I'm not sure if that's true or not. One of the gearsets I put in my 8.8 we forgot to put the slinger, and I didn't have any problem with it.

The guy that showed me how to setup diffs does it a bit different.
What he does is put everything together with the shims that came out and check the pattern... Adjust the pinion depth until the pattern looks ok. Then check the backlash and make adjustments with the carrier shims. Not sure if that's any easier. I haven't done any on my own, just with him helping me.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the slinger wasnt really a slinger at all. The one I had was just flat.

I've seen a few different ways to do it also. I just showed the way I did it and it seemed to work. I basically wanted to get the message accros that it could be done in the garage.

I have heard that on the ring gear bolts also but I've also heard the opposite. I reused them and it was fine.

Its kind of a catch to do an article like this as there are so many ways to do it and so many methods and opinions out there. But thats OK. :popcorn:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
128 Posts
I found your write up encouraging. I'm in the middle of my gears and its nice to see some one tell me I can do it, instead of telling me I should hire some one to do it. Right now I'm trying to get the feel of the pinion right.:bowdown:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok some tips on set-ups.

If you have old shims installed , set new stuff up with exact set-up and see if it works. If you're close, run a pattern to look at pinion depth, it's by far the hardest part of the process. Your adjustments to pinion depth make all back lash settings change. Always get pinion depth set first!!

Adjustments (shimming ) If your at home and don't have set-up berings, I suggest going for the whole adjustment at once. Walking it in with small adjustments often leads to tearing up berings from pressing on and off. The general rule of thumb is: a .010" adjustment increases/decreases backlash .005" - .007" . Pinon depth is harder since there's no exact measurement. I usally make at least .010" adjustments, a .020" adjustment would be a major one.

If starting from scratch, use old carrier berings until your final set-up. That way your new stuff isn't damaged.

Old ring gear bolts, are no different than any other bolts. They're L9 bolts so there is a fracture risk reusing stuff that hard. If you not getting an install kit, then the risk is no different than reusing all the old bearings. Don't froget to locktite them !!!

The little booklets most companys send out with the gears, contain good info. The pattern examples really help in figuring out what you need to do, as far as direction of adjustment. Good luck Pepper

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Great points Pep! I had to figure alot of that out on my own when I regeared my 60. I had setup bearings, so that helped alot too.

(See, I do agree with you occasionally! :flipoff::rotfl: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts