Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer of ours bought a set of michlen xzl's from the army surplus store, they are on 16" split rims, I can't seem to get the retaining ring off the wheel to dismount the tire:darn: do these take a special tool to remove? or just a bigger hammer?? Any help would be great, i don't think the tire stores will have anything to do with these wheels anymore will they??
Thanks, Steve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Not sure. Make sure there's no air in the tires before you start messing with them though!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
i'd just take it to Les Schwab Steve... Lots of the old trucks around here still use the split rims, so they still do them. Otherwise you'll spend all day beating the piss out of them.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That's cool. When I worked as a "mechanic" for Sears, we weren't allowed to touch split rims. Too dangerous and their insurance wouldn't cover it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, I guess I'll just tell him to take them to the tire store and see if they will do it, thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You might try a tire shop that does tires for tractors and other farm equipment.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Steve, when I worked at Jacks oil and tire we did a lot of them. One next to CAL Ranch and the truck shop out by Dads. If you go to the truck shop, ask for Lloyd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts