Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing an external regulated alternator in an empty spot, hooking a lead to the postive side out, revving the engine and seeing what I get? Anybody mess around with one?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links!

What I'm reading is that I can install an external regulated version and not hook it to anything else. Run the feild wire to a switch to activate it and go.

It looked like the extra stuff like the external regulater from NAPA just added some option like the ability to use it as a 12 volt charger or some plugs for 110V DC.

Both of those options would be nice to have.

Hmmmmm. I'll have to dig up some alternators and build some braketry in the next few months or so. It would be handy to have a welder around...

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know wildgoose has something like that set up in his yj, might want to ask him what he's got goin on. From the sound of it, it's simple.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yup, Thats about all there is too it. I bought some miller female lead plug-ins to use regular miller leads from an old buzz box I had. Mine was an old Ford alternator. Friend of mine used to work at a local repair shop. He checked out the bearings and said it is putting out around 60 amps. or whatever. I run fairly small rod nad have only used it once. But it is the one time that it pays off. A friend broke his tie rod and we got him back in action for the whole day. I think he drove it for a month after the trip!
I used a combination pulley on my YJ to run a separate v-belt that I only use when I want to run the welder. The pulley cost a few coins.

The funny thing with mine is I gave my old welder (and the leads) away and built another set of leads from scratch. got more into them than the whole setup!:rolleyes:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SO you just hooked the lead up to the positive side and went? This sounds like it should be a pretty easy thing to do. :smokin:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's a pic if I can get it to load. It's kind of hard to see. I ran a hot wire on from the battery to the field with a toggle in line. I think I read somewhere that they put out whatever volts are input at the field. Some evidently use a dimmer switch froma lamp or something to get some adjustability. I figures I would just change electrode size like you would if you were using a bunch of batteries in series. 3/32 6011 farmer rod worked perfect. maybe a touch hot but I prefer it that way. It's a real wild sounding weld too. I was pleasantly surprized it worked so well.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts