Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody familiar with these, My old carter is getting pretty tired. Works great cept for hills, tipped, cold, hot, windy.......thats about it:darn:

·
Registered
341 Posts
No personal experience with the truck avenger, but from what I have read on various boards the results aren't favorable.
I can tell you this from experience, Carters, Performers, and Holley carbs are made for flat land driving. You can do some tweeking to them so they work better, but they still aren't up for off camber driving. Best bet next to FI is a Quadrojet.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Go Propane! gotpropane.com

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I have a 770 on mine and I should have bought the 670 since it is too much for my motor to get the correct volumemetic efficiency so I have been fighting an off idle stumble. Other than that it works pretty good compared to a lot of other carbs I have had.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Go Edelbrock AVS Offroad carb it is a 650. It works great on my burb and pretty good on the angles.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Looking through the Summit Racing mag the other day, it looks like the Low Rider carb would be good for us? Extreme angles, and bouncing around.....anyone tried it? Its a Holley 670

From Summit....
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

Carbs just for low riders.
If you've got a slammed ride and like to drop it like it's hot, has Holley got a carb for you! Holley's Low-Rider Avenger carburetors have an exclusive No Trouble design metering block and vent tube to prevent hesitation, stalling and fuel flooding at extreme angles, nose up, nose down, and side to side maneuvers. They also feature a No Trouble choke that ensures great cold starting. Their externally adjustable, No Trouble spring loaded needle and seats promote stable fuel levels for improved fuel control under all conditions. H.V.S. Annular Boosters provide an ultra High Vacuum Signal for incredible low and mid range throttle response and torque. Built in fuel inlet filter and Viton transfer tube seals ensure leak-proof no trouble operation. These carbs also feature chrome fuel bowls with side-hung floats to provide precise fuel control and maintain the classic Holley look. To top it all off, the Low-Rider Avenger carbs have a vibratory polished finish with gold dichromate hardware for a blingin' look.

spacer
HLY-0-80681

$399.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today
overview Application Suggested Parts Show All
Brand: Holley
Product Line: Holley Lo-Rider Avenger Carburetors
Number of Barrels: 4
Carburetor Flange: Square bore
Choke: Electric
Fuel: Gasoline
Secondary Type: Vacuum
New or Remanufactured: New
Fuel Inlet: Single
CFM: 670
Carburetor Finish: Vibratory polished
Ford Kickdown: No
Booster Type: Annular
Throttle Linkage Type: Universal
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: This carburetor was designed for use on vehicles equipped with Hydraulic suspension, or air ride suspension.

Carburetor, Low-Rider Avenger, 670 cfm, Square Bore, 4-Barrel, Electric Choke, Dual Inlet, Polished, Each

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Looks just like my truck avenger without the Bling finish

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I saw that same thing in low rider magazine and was wondering the same stuff. I was just too ashamed to say I was looking through a low rider mag.:darn:
I do dig the added bling!:thumb:

·
Registered
164 Posts
JUST TRIED A 670 AVENGER AND HATED IT .....TOOK IT BACK TO SCHUCKS.....BASEPLATE WAS WARPED...CHOKED HAD TO BE DIALED SO FAR BACK TO KICK OFF THAT IT WOULDN'T ENGAGE IN THE MORNING,PLUS MY CARTER MADE WAY MORE POWER........JUST MY 2 CENTS:beer:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Towpro said:
JUST TRIED A 670 AVENGER AND HATED IT .....TOOK IT BACK TO SCHUCKS.....BASEPLATE WAS WARPED...CHOKED HAD TO BE DIALED SO FAR BACK TO KICK OFF THAT IT WOULDN'T ENGAGE IN THE MORNING,PLUS MY CARTER MADE WAY MORE POWER........JUST MY 2 CENTS:beer:
Yeah but you have a Ford :rotfl:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all info, thought about propane and FI just wanted to go a cheaper route. Have access to 1988 truck that may be parted out but have concerns if that would be enough to feed my engine, plus it just didn't seem any less to go that way once you buy injectors, pump, new line, adapter and so on.
:confused:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have to chime in here. I put a home-made throttle body EFi in my cj. First it was on the AMC 304, and when that motor croaked I transferred it all over to a chevy 327. I did everything myself for a total cost of around 350.00 by buying all the parts off e-bay.

Cons- It idles too low, when very cold or totally wqarmed up the idle is fine. For ten minutes in-between the idle is too low and it will die when I come to a stop.
It won't pass emissions unless I keep the idle up around 1100rpm, this is no doubt due to my lack of a catalytic converter.

Pros- TBI only runs 15psi from the pump. Any fuel line will work.
Replacement parts are everywhere
Never have to file points again, and spark plug life is way better than before.
When warmed up the idle is rock solid at 700rpm. The pic in my avatar is my first attempt at the waterfall on Lost Trail. There was no idle problem, or throttle hesitation at all at that angle. I did end up getting strapped up the fall, but thatis probably due to my open rear diff.

What I would do differently. I would ditch the factory computer and run a MegaSquirt unit. This would probably take your total price closer to 600.00, but you get a lot more tuning options.

Good luck no matter which route you decide to go.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Owyhee Rock Man said:
Gonna need a big block or a built small block to run that much CFM. Isn't that what Kevin was running?
I am running a 770 and it is too much for my built small block. I should have went with the 670 or smaller.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right now my carter is a 600 cfm, And was thinking that even the avenger 670 was going to be too big for our elevation. I'm running a performer cam and intake, 64 cc trick flow heads, 10:1 compression, .030 bored, headers.

Saw a cheaper Holley FI kit that would support 270 HP, That is probably at sea level, Do you guys think that it would run well at our level. I don't think that I making any sense.

Maybe I'll just run it at redline everywhere so I can justify the ram jet 350
that I want:cool:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
hey Joe... unless you want to go ahead and do fuel injection, just have a quadrajet rebuilt with offroading in mind. I have an old one you can have. Quads, when properly built will do better than any others out there for less, in my opinion. There are a few guyys in our neck of the woods who are really good with carbs that could set you up good.

If you want to go FI, go with a megasquirt system. it is far cheaper than most of the others, and infinitely tuneable.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions................now I'm really confused.:confused:

I think that I may try a quad for know, if that blows then maybe an avenger or FI.

If I can't do that then I'm going to part out the chevy and put all the money into my neon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts