Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after loosing my blazer i have been sepending quite some time trying to deciede what i am going todo so here goes i am going to take my 2002 chevy 2500 HD and start its transfermassion with the help of CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

Plans

new motor Chevy 502 big block

transmission will proably just be the one that is in there just rebuilt to withstand me...

44 swampers

Lifted so i can fit those 44's CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

air lockers front and rear CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

a suspension that rivals RC cars CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

a full roll cage inside CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

sliders CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

new custome bumpers CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

custome rear rack in bed of truck CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

Dana 60 front CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

Dana 60 Rear with Rear steer CBI offroad (if steve is interested)

any other sujestions are welcome....

Project will be completed by early fall....

P.S. steve i need to get with you and get a price figure on some (most) of this stuff...

i already have the motor bought from eddel brock, the tires les schwab, and the rims.... this is going to be awsome....

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
wow that sounds like a fun project keep us posted oh btw nice rig!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
why ruin a new rig why not pick up an older one for a couple hundred bucks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dude, you've already got the towrig. Don't cut it up. Besides, it just doesn't seem right to put a smaller rearend in your truck & add BIGGER tires at the same time :what:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Okay, I didn't post anything earlier, but why in the world would you pull the 8.1, which is 496 c.i., and replace it with a 502? You gain a whopping 6 cubic inches. Are you planning on converting to carburetion too? Why not just put a little money into the motor you already have? A little head work and a new cam will really wake that thing up.

As TEX mentioned, it doesn't make much sense to go to a smaller axle. Your rear axle right now should be the AAM 11.5. It is limited in locker selection, but is much larger than a 60.

I don't get why you would want to ruin a perfectly good tow rig to make a wheeler. If you want a big crew cab wheeler go buy an old straight axle 1 ton CC Chevy that already has a 60 in front and 14 bolt in the rear. It would be cheaper in the long run and you would have a capable wheeling rig and something to tow it to the trail with.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
:popcorn:

:beer:

:beer:

because he can....?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see the "cool factor" in a late-model, crewcab, 44" equipped beast.

BUT, you could probably piece together one from salvage yard parts, and end up with just as good of a ride as you will with the original plan. And for probably the same amount of money either way.

Difference is -
in plan (A), you wind up with one cool truck.
in plan (B), you wind up with one cool truck AND something that'll tow it around ;)

TEX

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Build a custom frame, hang your new 502, tranny and t-case of choice, get your suspension all dialed in with the new axles.

Then hang your body of choice off the the top. hell even do some searching and use an 08 body while you are at it.

With what your truck is worth, its hard to justify, dumping the complete drivetrain and suspension to build a trick ride.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
just wondering.........did ya have a specific RC car to emulate the suspension??

sounds like a kewl rig though!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I understand why you want to do it...what I don't get it why you don't want to take advantage of what you already have to save $$$. In other words, read everything but the end of JoshH's email and...what he said. Especially on the engine part. If you think the 502 install is going to be something you can get done at most any shop, your not considering fully your truck's ECU. The thing is waaaaaaaaay computerized.

The 502 would require an aftermarket wiring harness interface to your stock harness. Something Painless can probably put together for you, but not without a significant expenditure. Your stock transmission flat won't work without the ECU if it's an auto. If you can't use what you have but you still want an auto, there's a selection of tranny suppliers online that can get you into a heavily built 700R4 or, if adapted, a C6 or 727. If it's a manual, then you'll only need to get with someone like Advanced Adapters to mate the 502 up (assuming you're not asking for something that's not been done before...if you are, you're again looking at mucho dinero.) All your sending units/sensors/detectors will be kerfuzzled, so my guess is it'd be cheapest to plan on an all-new set of instrumentation on your dashboard so you can use non-computerized detection and display. All your engine auxilliaries (A/C, power steering, alternator, etc.) will require customized interface with the 502, because the stock brackets will be trash. This list is just the beginning...

Yeah, use the engine you have. If it's the 8.1, then warm it over and keep it reliable. If it's the 6.0 it's still a fairly ballsy critter. Warm it over more and keep it reliable. Maybe install a nitric injection system for the hill climbs. If it's the 5.4, well, put a blower on it or see if there's a stroke option similar to the 350 => 383. But stay essentially original.

It looks to me like you'd have the 11.5 as well. Lots of ring gear, I think the axle shafts match the D-60 (don't know the spline count, though, as I've never opened up an 11.5), and your gear choices aren't awful. 3.73, 4.10, 4.63, 4.88, and 5.13. You could do much worse than that.

A D-60 up front's a good idea...toss that inferior front shi*. If you're going custom on the solid axle conversion, then get everything figured out with the person/shop (i.e., Steve) before you purchase your axle, because his preference on installation can affect what you should be solid axle conversions. Same goes for using a purchased kit. ORU's bolt-on kit for your truck (if I picked the right one) requires you to use a Ford D-60 or one of the ORU modified D-60s...not a Chevy D-60 (which are more plentiful.)

Were you were planning on cutting some sheetmetal? Otherwise, 44s under those tight GM wheelwells is going to require quit a bit of lift. You'll be so high in the air you won't be able to do anything with the truck other than drive the streets and give the Queen Elizabeth wave.

All that said...I think the build up you described for your HD2500 would be GREAT on a late 80s K5 Blazer...and you could go topless, to boot. The Blazer would be a cheaper investment, make a smaller footprint but still have the benefits a fullsized rig has, looks great and enjoys a real cult following.

Out of thoughts now. Let us know where you go with this.

-Mikey-

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
It is your project and its your money so do what you want with it. If it makes you happy is all that matters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts