Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need somebody to check my logic. I want to fit bigger tires under my truck, but I can't do a lift this year. I read in a off road magazine that the less suspension lift you use to get the desired result, the better. So, this is what I was thinking: I currently have 30.46" X 9.65" tires. I would like to run 33s. Probably 33.4" X 11.6" or 34.4" X 10.8". Both of those are too wide for my stock rims (according to Les Schwab). Ignoring the different widths that I could run with stock or aftermarket rims, I am looking mainly for ground clearance. For that I need taller tires. My truck is a flareside so it looks like I have plenty of room in the back. In the front I was thinking that if I replaced the fenders with the fiberglass fenders I found, which have a 3" larger opening radius and a 3" flare. Then removed the lower valence on my front bumper (the top is metal & bottom is plastic) I would gain the required room. Is this right or am I missing something? It would be a whole lot cheaper to go this way and I can always add the lift I want later and go up in tire size even more. I know there will be issues with tire clearance at full turns, but wouldn't I have those same issues even if lifted? If this is a possible way to go, then I can start taking measurements to see what areas might be a problem.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The main issue I see is that the bigger the tire without any lift is just filling up your wheel wells. You might be able to squeeze 33x12.50's in there but going over bumps would probably make them bang against the fenders anyway. I have 33's on my Bronco w/no lift and I don't get any rubbing at full turn or anything like that but if I hit trail bumps that are deep enough, fast enough, I knock the crap out of my fenders. And the tires now have nice little custom grooves in them just below the tread on the sidewall from the little bolts that hold the fender well splash guards in. I'd say lift it with the money you would spend on tires, then get the tires. Just my $.02

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've seen a similar ranger as yours (minus the flareside) running the fiberglass flares. He's running 33's (which prob measure 32+some). Fitting 35's (34+) may be a litle tough, especially in the rear. (not being able to see how much romm you have to clear) I believe 33's can be done on the stock suspension in the front useing the fiberglass flares. But keep this in mind, your articulation will not change, it may be limited due to tire size. You do have the possibility of rubbing and if you do come down with any force and the tire makes contact with the flare, they will break. If you run into a rock/teee, you can damage them easily. But, if you do remove your lower valannce and in the future get an aftermarket bumper, you should have no problem clearing the tires. I know it's not the same year, but this may give you an idea.

http://www.off-road.com/ford/projects/prerocker/front_fe.html

As far as tires go, you already know that Les Slobs wont put that tire size on a stock rim. They prob say that the rim is not wide enough (depending on what your stock is (7" or 7.5") They are very regulated driven. From personal experience, I have fit a 13.5" Tire on a 7"s tock rim before. I currently run 12.5" wide tires on an 8.25" rim and get along just fine. I will even air down to 5 psi with little to no issues. One concern I did find with running a larger tire on a stock rim is incorrect backspacing. You run the risk on rubbing on the frame, suspension components, or other areas with a stock rim wraped with a 12.5" tire.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
12.5" should be on an 8" rim, maybe a 10" at the very most, but 8" is better, especially for wheeling.
When I bought my truck it had 315/75/16s (bascially a 35x12.5x16) on the stock 6" wide rims. :shocked:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My current tires are 9.65" wide. So I could go with 33" X 10" with my stock rims. It sounds like you are agreeing that the logic is sound. That adding the flares and removing the valence should give me enough room for 33s. I would just like a little more ground clearance. I often hit rocks on the trail on my underside and I have to steer carefully. I figured out that the total cost to go this route (flares & tires) will be 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a lift and tires. If it lets me get a few more inches of clearance under my diff this year, that would be great. I will start taking some measurements. See how much space is in there and how close the tires get to the frame. I think this may be the way to go.

My truck is going to look really weird with flared fenders. :)

I've added a picture of the truck when I first bought it. It seems to show the fender openings the best.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've got 33s on my former daily driver/mild offroader. I don't drive it much, since I got my new truck, but the larger tire, with a little trimming fits very well. Under the exactly right circumstances they will rub but most of the time not.

What is the wheel bolt pattern on your ranger. My S10 is 5x4.75. If your ranger is the same you could bolt on my wheels to see what kind of clearance problems you would have. Oh yeah, my tires are 33x10.50r15 BFG M/Ts. I got them siped and they work great.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
won't work ron. I tried fitting a set of 33's on my rig and while the rears were o.k. the fronts would hit hard while turning. You're gonna have to lift or cut panels.

edit: replied before I saw the picture of the flares, that would probably work. My bad :darn:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Baja Travis said:
bfg makes tires in 33 x10.50 and even 9" widths so you can run your same wheels now
Yeah Swamper does too, and the tread width is 8". They also have a LTB 34"x10.5" w/9.25 Tread. I don't recommend them for Road use. I have them on a daily driver , but my commute is 1.5 miles. Awesome off road if you spend a lot of time there. 125 a piece too. Les Schwab can order swampers.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help. My bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 so yours won't work Josh. Thanks for the offer. Anybody in Mtn Home have Ford rims with 33s I could 'borrow'? This weekend is full, but next weekend I'll do some measuring, see what might be an issue. Shouldn't take me long to get everything together once I decide to go ahead. I wish I could get more ground clearance, but this will have to do.
Is there a good place in Mtn Home to get the flares painted?
I'll look for some 255/85R16 (33.06" x 10") tires. See if I can find something better than what Les Schwab has. They don't seem to carry much BFG.

This is going to be fun!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If your interested, I'd sell my Q78s with the rims...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
nate said:
If your interested, I'd sell my Q78s with the rims...
Okay, I'm ignorant. What is a Q78? Is it a 33" tire on 5 by 4.5 rims? If so, I'd love to try putting one on the front of my truck for measurements. I can't buy anything till next payday but I might be interested. Depends on what they are.

You know what's funny? I went and did a search on Ranger Forums last night. Someone posted a very similar question as mine. Most of the answers said that flares would make 33s look too small and they recommend 35s! Which is crazy to me. No way they would fit. They also said that 32 & 33s fit under the stock fenders, which I know is wrong. Well, maybe 32s. I'm just wondering what trucks they're driving and how? Maybe they never take them off-road. Very strange. I am going to see if I can sweet talk the wife into a lift. If not, I'll go with the flares.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You have to take what is said on the ranger forum with a grain of salt. Through my dealing over there, I seem to have found a lot of very opinionated people. There are a few very knowledgeable people on there, don’t get me wrong. But I'd say the majority of the crowd ranges between the ages 16-25 and trying to build on extreme budgets.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Q78x15, (the original Swamper) They are the tires I have under my Jeep right now. Something like a 35.5x11 or around that.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ron, I've seen those flares on vehicles before and IMO they are poorly made in terms of lining up to the factory body lines. Just wanting to let you know.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i can tell you from experiance the are easy to get on and a pain to line up i was afraid i was gonna crack it or brake it from all the shimming so i got it as close as possible and said screw it.

the rear glass though was the oppsite pain to get on had to cut some stuff and drill out an ass load of rivits but the mounted right with little shimming

1 - 20 of 39 Posts