Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building myself up a new trail rig and need some help in what I will need to meet my offroad needs.
Rig is a 1970 Jeepster Commando, with full removable metal top.
101 inch wheelbase. 3" body lift already installed. I'll probably leave it since it was already there when I got her.
Rear shackles have been extended, fronts are still factory with all the factory springs still on the rig also.
I am going to be putting on some 33 x 12.50 tires/ 15 x 8 wheels this weekend and I am wondering what kind of lift other than the 3" body I will need to keep the tires from eating up my fenders-(I will not cut the fenders, by the way, I would rather lift it properly and keep the stock body appearance).
I am considering the option of least cost, most work right now which is a leaf over conversion on my existing axles.
A guy has a set of lifted springs off a early 70's model CJ and I was wondering if these will interchange with my Commando springs. Anyone ever done any work with a Jeepster Commando?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Commandos are cool,but will drive you nuts the more you wheel it. The spring over is a good way to go, you may even be able to remove the body lift. Just remember those little "extras" that add up. Stuff like: extending/ replacing drive lines, new shock mounts and longer shocks, longer brake lines, in some cases new steering. One thing to consider is if your going to do the spring over I'd udate the springs, that way you not doing a bunch of stuff twice. Good luck:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In studying some more on my Commando, I agree with you guys that the spring over conversion is going to have to be done.
My last Jeep was running 1 ton chevy axles, spring over front and rear and I never had to worry about any clearance with its setup. I am seriously thinking that this may also be the way I go on the Commando also.
I already have a Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gears, and can easily get a Dana 44 HD front to match with disc brakes.
My only unknowns in this swap out will be that I think all my spring hangers will have to be relocated for the wider axles.
I also realize steering box and steering modifications will need to be made also along with extended brake lines, and other parts.
I am doing all this myself, so its really not a big issue to me. I am just trying to determine right now if I need to go ahead and upgrade my axles to the 1 ton stuff, before I hit the trails.
All your advice is greatly appreciated, and is helping me to decide what route to take.
Right now I am leaning towards the 1 ton axle upgrades while I am doing the spring over conversion. I will of course upgrade my springs as well to accomodate the heavier duty 1 ton axles and move my spring perches outward to the frame side also to keep my vehicle more stable.
Saginaw power steering will be added also, since right now its only got the factory manual steering box.
Needless to say, my Commando is not being restored back to factory original specifications. I plan to use my rig seriously. I am also planning on adding some additional protection to the body exterior by attaching a tubing exoskeleton around the rocker bottoms and up and around the wheelwells to the front and rear bumpers I am going to custom build myself.
I also plan to pull the factory hard top and install a heavy duty roll cage setup inside the rig also to protect front and rear passengers.

All this being said, any additional tips in the type of conversions I plan to do are always greatly appreciated.:thumb:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ram,

You may save yourself some headache if you just go ahead and cut that rear fender out. I have seen lots of commandos that have been cut and if you do a nice job it actually looks better IMHO. If you are going to use the rig as hard you say you will be glad you did. Also, doing that you can lose the 3" body lift.

Also the rocker panels are the next thing I would remove. I added a picture of a cut commando with SOA. The rockers are cut and the rear fender.

The rocker gives you a great place to base your exo off of. Like the second pic that I hastily drew in paint.

The last picture is how drastic I was going to cut my '69 before I went full buggy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Triple T said:
Ram,

You may save yourself some headache if you just go ahead and cut that rear fender out. I have seen lots of commandos that have been cut and if you do a nice job it actually looks better IMHO. If you are going to use the rig as hard you say you will be glad you did. Also, doing that you can lose the 3" body lift.

Also the rocker panels are the next thing I would remove. I added a picture of a cut commando with SOA. The rockers are cut and the rear fender.

The rocker gives you a great place to base your exo off of. Like the second pic that I hastily drew in paint.

The last picture is how drastic I was going to cut my '69 before I went full buggy.
Triple T, is there any way you could email me some clearer drawings on the 3rd one you posted? That is cool. I would really like to use those as a guidline for my rig. I will most likely stay with the leaf spring setup, but just having a workable drawing like that would be a great help in picturing how mine might end up.
My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks for all the input. Here is what she looks like now, with rockers and rear fender sections removed. I like it better now also. The wheel openings now actually match up. I have the 33 x 12.50's on it for now, and I think I will try now to focus on getting it going with this setup for now, with upgrades to be done as time/money permits to the spring over when I install the 1 ton axles and go to the 35" tires. I also plan to upgrade to the Saginaw power steering box then also.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Owyhee Rock Man said:
T Cube, is that Tyrone's Hurst Commando? Or ???

You need to post a picture of Roxannes Commando after we chopped it.
I dont know who's Commando. I found it on the web.

Here is Roxanne's '70 with the rear fenders cut and a wrangler flares added.

We did not remove the rockers (yet) just painted them black.

Looks good Ramdaddy!

EDIT-> YES I know that thing needs a cage! (got to get the buggy done first, got to get the buggy done first, got to get the........:darn: )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Triple T said:
I dont know who's Commando. I found it on the web.

Here is Roxanne's '70 with the rear fenders cut and a wrangler flares added.

We did not remove the rockers (yet) just painted them black.

Looks good Ramdaddy!

EDIT-> YES I know that thing needs a cage! (got to get the buggy done first, got to get the buggy done first, got to get the........:darn: )
Hey Triple T, what size tires are you running on that Commando?
Are you still running the factory axles also? I am in the process now of getting me some 35" x 12.50's and was wondering how they will look on my rig.
Jim C.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The tires on that commando are 32". The axles are stock 27f/44/r.

35"s will look good. They will just take a lot more work to make fit!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts