Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy from kentucky. i have a 87 1500 longbed. i am currently swapping in a new motor due to the 288,000 hard miles, the 33's w/ 3.08s and basically because i want to. lol. i built a 383, 9.5:1, 446 lift cam, vortec heads, performer rpm and a 650 holley. it should make in the neighborhood of 325-350 hp and more importantly around 400-450 ft.lbs. the truck is stock now. it is my daily driver. i have purchased a dana 44 front and the matching f/f 14 bolt for the rear w/ a gov lock and 4.10s front and back. i also have a set of 16.5x12 eagle wheels w/ 35x14.5x16.5 boggers to go on it. i know the boggers aren't the hot setup for daily driving so i will get a set of bfg mud terrains 35x12.5x16.5s for daily driving duties. my question is...the only thing i am lacking now is a lift. i am in ky. so there aren't a lot of rocks around here, plus i have no big desire to wheel over them. that is what my 4-wheeler is for. with that being said, what should i do in the lift dept.? i would like to go 6" on the susp. i have heard good things about the superlift softride, but i am a former drag racer...i know nothing about this stuff. my truck rides like a loaded dumptruck right now. i would like a little bit smoother ride, but i want to be able to haul stuff too w/o the rear sagging. how much will i spend on a good lift kit w/ rear springs? what lift should i go with? what kinda problems will i encounter? will the driveshafts be fine? will i need stainless brakelines? will i need new driveshafts? these are the questions i know to ask, but i am sure there are many more that i don't even know of. as i said i am a former drag racer so this is all new to me, but i want to do it right the first time. i want a good, dependable truck that i am not afraid to wheel. we will mostly be trail riding, mudding, some water ( not high water ), and daily driving. if i had 400-450 ft. lbs of torque, are 4.10s enough w/ 35's and a 700r4? i do not want to have to swap gears, but i would rather do it before i put the new rear ends under it. is the dana 44 a good axel or should i look for a 60? i would love to have one, but i do not want to spend that much cake unless it is necessary. what kind of steering issues will i encounter? i know i will have to have a drop pitmas arm, but is there anything else? sorry for so many questions, but i am trying not to re-invent the wheel. that is what is on my mind now...but i am sure there will be other questions to follow.

thanks so much in advance.

Tyler
www.wickedgrafixx.com
Code:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok Well I started with a 6" soft ride by super lift and loved it. matter in fact it sold so fast when I went to the 8" super lift. the 8" worked so much butter for my 36's in articulation and clearance. Superlift makes a nice lift. Remember to get a raised pitman arm and if you go 8" remember brake lines need to lengthened.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Hey Tyler welcome I have heard good things about the superlift stuff too Alot of poeple say the tuff country EZ rides are pretty good too. If you want to haul stuff I would get a 4" lift spring in the back and a 2" block why this because I think a 6" spring is has too much arch. Why not a shackle flip well that depends on how much you plan to carry tow with it the tension style shackle is better for heavy loads. You might have some wheelhop with this setup and the motor you are using though. If you are a former drag racer you probably know about different kinds of tractions bars if not ask I always have an opionin :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. now i have been thinking...at what time will i experience wheel hop. i will not be doing burnouts or racing it on the street. do you experience wheel hop in the dirt or mud? i would think that if you could get enough wheel speed that you could overcome wheelhop at least in the dirt/mud...if you even experience that.

as far as the gears go...are 4.10s enough w/ 35's taking into consideration 425-450 ft. lbs. is that enough torque to overcome the lack of gear? it is my daily driving truck and it has a 700 in it. i do not want to have to change gears to a 4.56, but if need be i would rather do it before i put the new rear ends under it.

thanks again...

Tyler.

P.S. if the moderator reads this...get in touch with me. i would like to talk to you about a few things...namely t-shirts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts