Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heater on my mini van is not working as good as it should. When ever I stop at a light and the engine is at an idle for more than 30 seconds the heater start blowing cold are. Also the engine is slow to heat up to normal operating temperatures. The only other thing is the van has a rear heater and it stop working. I am going to check the fuses tonight for the rear heater.

If anybody has any ideas on what might be wrong, I sure would like some suggestion on what to look at.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
check your thermostat.. might be opening too fast.
also, see if your elec. fan is kicking on too soon. Also the rear heater blower motors burn out on those, so check the fuses, then pull the blower and hook 12V to it and see if it works.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
A four wheel drive mini-van, cool!! Sounds like a t-stat, it may also have a vacuum actuated valve in it that opens and closes to allow warm water into the heater core, but if the motor temp isn't heating up I'd start at the t-stat.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I had this problem with my subaru wagon. It turned out to be an air bubble in the line. When the motor idled the air woud stop in the heater core, cooling it off. When you reved up the motor, it heated back up. I ended up lifting the front way up in the air before I finally got rid of it (the air bubble).

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you lift the front up in the air? I checked the anti-freeze and it was a little low. I think the thermostat must be stuck open because it takes a while to warm up, but tonight the heater worked just fine, kept blowing hot air even after idling for about 5 minutes. I see what it does in the morning after adding anti-freeze.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
yep, its all those steroids he takes... once in a while some side effects pop up though. :flipoff:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts