Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Header, Free Flow Cat and muffler from Rockreeper to put on my 85 Toy. It originally came from Downey. It is a 2 1/2" flow. I was calling around to muffler shops about getting it installed and the shops are recommending 2 1/4". They are saying that I would lose top end horse power. I am going to have to replace all of the exhaust pipe. The engine is basically a stock 22RE. Should I go with 2 1/2" or should I choke it down to 2 1/4"?

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rudezuk said:
I would run the 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust on there.

Daryl, give Todd a call if you need the header installed.

467-6544

Thanks Shane,

I gave Todd a call and will take it in next week.

Darrell

·
Registered
55 Posts
I rode in Andy's (rockeeper) truck plenty of times before and after he put that exhaust on, and seat of the pants feel from the passenger seat was night and day. With the stock exhaust the power really seemed to drop off as it approached red line, and with the bigger pipes that thing pulled pretty hard,even for a four banger, all the way to redline. If you really want to help your top end out ask Andy about that intake also that seemed to really complete the package.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
my understanding about headers and pipes goes that small tube, long headers help the low end by utilizing the venturi evvect and increasing the velocity of the gasses. Large diameter headers help increase top end performance by providing less restriction in the path of the gasses exiting the engine, but also can have a detrimental effect on low end power.

·
Registered
379 Posts
hey darrell that setup wont work for you, just trade me for mine and you will be happy. I think...?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody for your opinions, I think I will go with the 2 1/2 pipe all the way. I usually never even get close to red lining, but with the mud and trees that are in my future, I might have to change my driving habits. Sorry Jim, but if that set up does work for my truck, I won't work on yours either so I will just have to keep it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ok ....well stated....you win:thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I went with the 2 1/4, LC header, hogged out cat. and a free flow muffler on my 85re. It seemed to help out a lot and I still have good top end. Have you added a k&n filter yet? I seemed to get a good gain from a cone filter and adjusting my MAF just a couple of teeth richer.
Good luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
I need a cat so I can pass emissions in ada county. besides I want to replace my flowmaster and make it quiet..... 2" pipe like a muffler with a glasspack quiet....I like to hear my spotter and I like to sneak into my drive way late at night. as well as park at work 10min late with out being noticed...I drive my chopped up yota daily, while my 05 dodge 4x4 quad cab with 10.000 miles and 20" bling wheels sits at home 9mpg vs 22mpg in the toy:beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts