Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday a few of us decided to run up Harris creek for a while but, it tured ugly fast. About 3-4 miles East of Horseshoe bend there is a ridgeline that runs noth and you can get up to Deadman pass. We started up it and Byron who was last was heading up the first rise and he said his Jeep made a loud bang and quit. He hit the brakes and had no pedal so, no brakes. He had his son and his son's friend with him and they all bailed out before it went over the edge. It rolled over his son and broke both his tibia an fibula. Byron wrenched his back getting out and bulged a disc. Zach was lifelited to the hospital and Byron went by ambulance. They are extremely lucky. Zach had surgery and they pinned his leg bones. Both are home now. The Jeep is on my trailer, a total....

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
All aside, they are very lucky. Hope the son makes a speedy recovery and that all will get back on the trail again soon. Take care all and be safe.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wow, Scary reminder of how easy bad things happen. Glad to hear everyone is home. Will the boy have a complete recovery? Sure hope so.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anybody wants to help, just keep your eyes open for some replacement sheet metal. It's a '78 CJ5. This situation goes way beyond lucky. God was truly watching over the 3 of them. Zach will make a full recovery. The Dr. put a plate and screws in his leg and he could actually walk on it if he wanted. The big problem is, they only have liability on it so, the rebuid will be slow and it has been Byron's daily driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.
Dave

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wow. Jeep rollovers seem to be on the rise lately.

Is there anything the family needs? I would like to help if there is any thing they need.

I am glad to see that everyone made it out relatively OK. Hate to see somebody get hurt on the trail. Kudos to you guys that were out there with them, I am sure your quick assistance is why everyone is back home today.
Yep we had a roll over 2 weeks ago not far from this one. Up Granite Creek Rd. out of Placerville. It was a hellva drop too, but she caught a tree and kept her from taking a similiar ride to yours. Glad everything turned out OK. My son rolled once 11 times and they rode it out , belted in and just got dis-locations and cuts. Hard top Bronco though. There was nothing left of it after 237 feet of rolls. Way to many of these. I hate watching them. I have seen 3 roll overs and 2 flops the last 5 runs I've been on.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is OK. From the looks of the jeep it should have been rideable. The roll cage looks like it did it's job, and if everybody was securely belted in they could have rode it out. Of course if it were me I'd have bailed too:thumb:

I'd help with spare parts, but almost nothing from my 72 that I am modding would fit:( Once again, glad everyone is OK.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is ok. Sorry to hear about the broken bones and Jeep parts. I will help any way that I can. Call anytime. 863-1718

So, any confirmation on what actually failed and caused this accident?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good to hear everyone is alright. I am glad it wasn't worse. That had to be scary.

Good thing others were there to help out, that is the great thing about group runs. Sounds like a good reason to have an e-brake!!!!!! Not a line lock, like everyone always talks about.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The story I get is that they were heading up the hill 4 low 1st gear just putting along and, they heard a loud jarring bang. He hit the brakes and there weren't any. He tried to keep it straight so the kids could get out before bailing himself. I am not gonna try second guessing what he did or did not do right/wrong since I wasn't an eyewitness. I am sure everyone would have done something different. I looked over the Jeep and I can't see any reason there were no brakes. The hood ripped the m/c cover off when it crumpled so, I can't say anything about the total system integrity either. I appreciate all your concerns. That actually says something about the "brotherhood" if you will. The major medical issue is not the broken leg. It is Byrons back. Like me he has already had a couple of back surgeries and has rods and screws in his spine. The bulged disc is the one directly above the fusion so, Doc's are keeping a very close eye on it. Thanks again guys. I'll let them know what you've said.
Dave

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
The story I get is that they were heading up the hill 4 low 1st gear just putting along and, they heard a loud jarring bang. He hit the brakes and there weren't any. He tried to keep it straight so the kids could get out before bailing himself. I am not gonna try second guessing what he did or did not do right/wrong since I wasn't an eyewitness. I am sure everyone would have done something different. I looked over the Jeep and I can't see any reason there were no brakes. The hood ripped the m/c cover off when it crumpled so, I can't say anything about the total system integrity either. I appreciate all your concerns. That actually says something about the "brotherhood" if you will. The major medical issue is not the broken leg. It is Byrons back. Like me he has already had a couple of back surgeries and has rods and screws in his spine. The bulged disc is the one directly above the fusion so, Doc's are keeping a very close eye on it. Thanks again guys. I'll let them know what you've said.
Dave
Cool, who knows, freak things happen in an emergency situation. Hopefully they can get everything back in order. Thanks for the update! :thumb:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
189 Posts
Man rolls are just no good. Glad to see there all ok. Keep us informed on Byrons back, also no parts but would love to help in any way just let me know if there is anything else they need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts