Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get some time to put back into the site finally and I have some ideas. I'm also looking for some feedback on what you like and dont like about this place. Here are some things I had in mind:

Dump the map and the 4x4 auction. They are not hardly used or not at all so why keep them? It was an experiment anyway.

Either work on the Virtual 4x4 this winter (Big Project), or dump it. Might be cool when its done or it might be stupid. Let me know what you think. I'm on the fence about it.

More articles. Like trip reports and how to's. I would like to set it up where a person could just submit a trip report and pics and I'll put it on the lineup. I also want to add more tech articles and link them better on the main page.

I would also like to have some sort of monthly contest or something along those lines. Any ideas? I'm not loaded so like a winch giveaway isnt going to happen unless its donated or something.

Anything else? I've got one other site that I need to finish up and then my plate is clear to refocus back here.

Let me know. Even if its bad. I can take it. Thanks! :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you be a little more specific? :finger:

I am open to all suggestions. I have even considered switching forum software and changing the entire site. The code here has mutated so bad over the years I'm surprised it runs so well.

I still might do it.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I played with the virtual 4x4 for a while, but it seems pointless and I would never log into it again. I am very much not a gamer tho. I have not even looked at the auctions and the map was something new for just about a minute. I think you got it all figured out, just need time. I feel ya.

Make sure to fix the polls, i dont think they work yet. Also some of the graphics for the forum dont show or the colors dont make sense (quote, edit, pm, email...)

I would love to contribute some logos/graphics that you could use or have a poll to see if anyone else here wants to try some new logos/graphics. The stickers are a hit, I think a good way to market is to keep a constant flow of those available.

You run a tight ship here and I want to be the first to compliment you. Great site and thank you for all that you do.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the kudo's and its really been a learning experience. I have defiently made my mistakes. But its also been fun.

So...

- Fix the polls
- Graphics for post options
- new graphics for the site, new logo maybe? The current one is something I made up two years ago. Or maybe incorporate it into a new one perhaps.

The stickers can be bought anytime but maybe its not that obvious, maybe expand the product line? I would love to have a shirt or Sweatshirt or something. I have sort of looked into that.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
401 Posts
I like the idea of more articles. Specifically tech articles. I can use all the help I can get and I rely pretty heavily on my dad and what I find here. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I think the game will be alot of fun once its finished. Right now its kind of stale, but that's more to do with it not being finished than anything.. definately go for the shirts, etc...

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I am seriously thinking about redoing the entire site using Vbulletin as the forum software. There are a few portal systems in place for it and they do have an RPG mode that I can make into a game. :thumb:

I would match the colors pretty close and use it as an opportunity to fix some stuff and make some other stuff run better. I'm also thinking a new logo would be the way to go.

The only thing holding me back is the costs. But I think I might do it.

I can import all the users and the posts over and it looks like I might be able to save attachments also. I also saw a mod that allows users to creat thier own page and I thought that was cool.

What do you think? I think it might be a great oppurtunity to upgrade the site some.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rudezuk said:
Matt, I think you have done a great job here!

If your looking at changing, give me a hollar.....HBRK's BBS works awesome, and we are really happy with there hosting.
We're already using the same software. :finger:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL! :thumb:

No seriously, I need to take this place up a level. Going to new software gives me that opportunity.

Well, I think I've about sold the idea to myself. 8)

I'm going to get busy........This is going to take all weekend I bet.....

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Naw, I'll make it! :thumb:

Well, I got the new software bought and installed on the test directory. I was able to import all users, usergroups, avatars, and private messages and even the attachments. I have also installed a basic portal that I'm, going to have to spend some time on. I also need to work on the site theme and make custom pages for the tech articles and that kind of stuff.

Maybe by the end of next week? I hope.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts